Oil Changes - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Oil Changes

Hey Everyone,
I have an 03 duramax I just bought in the fall. I have been running Shell Rotella conventional since I purchased it. What is a recommended span between changes? I have been told anything from 5,000 miles to 10,000 miles. I dont want to over due it or obviously under due it. Would love to hear everyone's opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM

I think anything in that range would be fine. I’m surprised it hasn’t been asked yet.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Waxman View Post
Hey Everyone,
I have an 03 duramax I just bought in the fall. I have been running Shell Rotella conventional since I purchased it. What is a recommended span between changes? I have been told anything from 5,000 miles to 10,000 miles. I dont want to over due it or obviously under due it. Would love to hear everyone's opinion.
the milage intervals you see recommended on this site and others will vary for a few different reasons. First, people use there trucks for different things. Hauling your kids down the highway to a soccer game is a lot easier on the engine oil than idling in a swap for days on end. Your driving habits and use of the truck play a large role in deciding when to change your oil.

If your truck has emissions the oil is likely to pick up more soot and other undesirable contaminants than a deleted truck, so emissions intact would mean you want to change oil more regularly than a deleted truck with identical drivers and use.

Some people also do oil analysis to decide when to change the oil, typically though this is only done by people who run expensive oils like amsoil that cost a small country's GNP to change. Oil analysis is a good idea though to monitor engine wear, i am not convinced its a good idea to run oil until the analysis shows its bad though.

temperatures play a major role in oil breakdown and life, if your towing in the mountains in summer, that oil is going to get very hot and its service life will be diminished compared to someone driving out to the lake on the weekend. (again, driving habits and use play a huge role)

Filtration is another place where you will start to get different answers on oil life. Some people install bypass filters that take a small portion of the oil pumps flow and filter it at a very fine micron level to remove soot and other deposits from the oil before returning it to the pan. These systems can keep oil very clean for a long time, and this is where you start seeing really high change intervals with some people reporting being in the 30K range between changes.

Capacity is another variable as well, if you have anything extra that adds oil capacity, be it the bypass system, a aftermarket pan, aux filters, a larger filter or a dry sump with external storage then your interval may change, since the service life of the oil is based on the quantity in the pan from the factory, more oil means more dilution and less wear for the same number of miles on average.

Basically, you need to decide if you are hard on your truck, or if you baby it. If you are hard on your truck, change it at the 5-6K interval (or even sooner if you really beat on it) if your just using it as a grocery getter, it doesent idle a lot or get beat on at red ligths then go ahead with the higher change interval and just keep an eye on the oil level and make sure it doesent look or smell cooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icutmetl View Post
I think anything in that range would be fine. Iím surprised it hasnít been asked yet.
it has. many.... many........ many times.
JimmyD likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:03 PM

I have to say, J83 always give good straight forward advice!
With that being said, my trucks a garage queen for the most part, I change oil every 6 months. I literally haven’t put 1,000 miles on my truck in a year. You read about oil breaking down an all that jazz which I’m sure it does as it just sits. But for me I feel changing it every 6 is best for me. Break it down it’s less then 500 miles I change it. I do use shell like I have with all my diesel trucks, an we use it at work an work changes oil every 20k miles. We are always loading for half the trip, example 600 miles out loaded 600 back empty.
If it’s going to be a garage queen do it when you feel the need, and any other fluid while your there. If your using the truck the do what’s recommended

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 PM

I believe you are accurate with the 5,000-10,000 range. As others have stated it all depends. I have read quite a lot on the topic. I decided to wait until my oil monitor is around 10%-15% and change. Right now that looks like around 7,500 I will be making changes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:01 AM

FWIW, I just got an analysis done on my recent oil change. Had 8750kms on Rotella T5, and they said I could easily do 10000kms. That's only 6200mi. Mostly daily driving, no towing.

Lucky for me as well, there were no abnormal wear metals, coolant or anything but oil found in my sample. Whew!

325000kms on the unit and switched to Rotella T6 full synthetic this time around.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4ĖCharcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:52 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
I have to say, J83 always give good straight forward advice!
With that being said, my trucks a garage queen for the most part, I change oil every 6 months. I literally havenít put 1,000 miles on my truck in a year. You read about oil breaking down an all that jazz which Iím sure it does as it just sits. But for me I feel changing it every 6 is best for me. Break it down itís less then 500 miles I change it. I do use shell like I have with all my diesel trucks, an we use it at work an work changes oil every 20k miles. We are always loading for half the trip, example 600 miles out loaded 600 back empty.
If itís going to be a garage queen do it when you feel the need, and any other fluid while your there. If your using the truck the do whatís recommended

^^ i dont see any issue with that change interval. Hell, id probably do it yearly if it only saw 1000 miles a year.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM

I figure this next year coming in I’ll drive it more so that’ll change, I just have a really long an extremely rough driveway if that’s what you want to call it. Getting it paved in October. I hate beating the old girl up with it. The corolla I use daily ramps the bumps all the way down, it’s a dang trooper to say the least

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
I've run Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 for as long as I have had the truck. It now comes in a 2.5gal jug. My truck has a change oil light which comes on in the ballpark of 7500 miles +/- depending on driving. I run an OEM filter and have never had any oil related problems.

Justin 2001 LB7 Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 523K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Odyssey Extreme Batteries, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, PPE Trans Cooler, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, LLY FF Housing w/ Racor, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Merchant Automotive
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I run Mobil 1 with a Baldwin filter in my truck.

My truck sees mostly getting me back and forth to the office and the airport. But, I do some heavy towing as well. I simply go by the DIC which normally tells me to change the oil between 6 and 7.5k miles (depending on how much towing I have done).

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in