CEL P0380, Is it a Module or Glow Plug? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
CEL P0380, Is it a Module or Glow Plug?

I got in my truck yesterday after sitting for 3 days fired it up took my son to practice. Got back in 2 hours after practice and the CEL came on and it was a P0380 code.
I thought when a glow plug went out it would tell me which one. (ignorant i know) If there was i was wondering if this code is more the glow plug module or a glow plug. I am just going to replace all of them eventually but to fast fix i was wondering what the consensus was. Thanks

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 211,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

1967 Camaro "Drive it like you stole it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Did you check the relays for the glow plug controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BOWTIE67 likes this.

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
Did you check the relays for the glow plug controller?

I havent done anything. It was dark last night when i got home and it isnt cold out so it isnt really a worry....yet. Thats where i am going to start though. Get my multi meter out and test the two wires in the plug, pink w/yellow stripe and solid yellow and ohms in my relay if this is correct? Electrical guy im not. I can twist bolts all day...wires ehhhh

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 211,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: Carson City, NV Proud Participant, Federal Witness Protection Program
Did a quick Google and found this site:

https://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13650

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE ExtCab CA Emissions; 155k; Allison 1000 w/Transynd X2 Flush & Fill; 8' bed; AFE/CAI; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Side Tint, 33% VLT, rear, Limo; Smittybilt Stainless Side Nerf Bars; Sprayed-in Bed Liner; MadJack Fuel Filter Access Door; Regular Used Oil Analysis (latest available on request), Blackstone Labs; EGT/Boost Gauges; Dual Chrome Dipsticks, JC Whitney; Stainless Steel fuel filter head bleeder screw; New WP and Hydroboost; Billet Aluminum Fuel Filter Housing Spacer; Professionally repaired instrument cluster (new steppers and lamps); Does anybody ever read this s%#t?; Injectors under warranty @ 70k; 2nd set DIY @ 155k
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE67 View Post
I havent done anything. It was dark last night when i got home and it isnt cold out so it isnt really a worry....yet. Thats where i am going to start though. Get my multi meter out and test the two wires in the plug, pink w/yellow stripe and solid yellow and ohms in my relay if this is correct? Electrical guy im not. I can twist bolts all day...wires ehhhh

Is your gpcm a thin sealed unit, or the one with a cover and 2 relays inside?

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I would start with the cheap parts parts first, if you have a test light with alligator clip then clip it on end of glowplug still in engine and touch light on positive battery terminal. If it lights up then it is good, check all 8. Keep in my mind though if the light is barely lit up that the glowplug is weak and needs replaced anyway. Use acdelco glowplugs only, others are garbage. If they all check out then proceed to check relays.

For checking relays and wiring there is a very informative video on youtube for going through the process of checking all the control circuits and components. Type in 2001-2004 Duramax LB7 P0380 Code by Hatecke007

Good luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Ever figure this out? Just wondering because mine has been showing the same code off and on but effects really nothing. Just curious
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
Is your gpcm a thin sealed unit, or the one with a cover and 2 relays inside?

Funny you ask, w/o looking i ordered the one with the cover because when i googled the part for the LB7 it mostly showed the one with the cover. Well thats not the one i have. That would be the thin one with 3 plugs

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ArcadianDuramax$ View Post
Ever figure this out? Just wondering because mine has been showing the same code off and on but effects really nothing. Just curious
No, I just sent the wrong part back (gpcm with the cover). I am going to order the thin flat one. I did check the glow plugs they all test good. The truck does not run bad at all. I live in SoCal so i guess if it were cold outside it might have issues starting in the cold but that is not the problem. The light on is my problem

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ArcadianDuramax$ View Post
Did you ever figure your code out. I have now replaced the glow plug module and all 8 glow plugs and still having the code return but truck runs fine. Next i guess i will be checking voltage at each plug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode