Lb7 smoking - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Lb7 smoking

Hi i have an 01 lb7 that smokes at idle and when you get on it it will smoke a bunch then clear up if u let it sit again idle it then will start smoking again after a few mins any suggestions on the problem? i have videos apparently i cant post them on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

This is after idle romping on it sorry since this site doesnt allow vids i had to screenshot from the video
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191014-163828_Video Player_1571089142769.jpg (14.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191014-163825_Video Player_1571089244891.jpg (20.5 KB, 60 views)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

This is at idle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191014-163847_Video Player_1571089294393.jpg (28.6 KB, 57 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:07 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi i have an 01 lb7 that smokes at idle and when you get on it it will smoke a bunch then clear up if u let it sit again idle it then will start smoking again after a few mins any suggestions on the problem? i have videos apparently i cant post them on here?

is it white smoke, black smoke or some other smoke? does the color change from idle to "on it"?

given its an LB7, and its smoking at idle, my money is on stuck open injectors. You can look at balance and return rates to see if there shot.

Upload the video to youtube and just post the link if you like.

your second picture looks like its idle haze from bad injectors but the first picture.... thats a lot of smoke. are you loosing coolant at all?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

No coolant doesnt move at all its like a blueish and a little white mixed i would say lol and injector brs where tested and they where healthy
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

And it doesnt run rough at all like an injector stuck open still runs good
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Quote:

is it white smoke, black smoke or some other smoke? does the color change from idle to "on it"?

given its an LB7, and its smoking at idle, my money is on stuck open injectors. You can look at balance and return rates to see if there shot.

Upload the video to youtube and just post the link if you like.

your second picture looks like its idle haze from bad injectors but the first picture.... thats a lot of smoke. are you loosing coolant at all?
Sorry dont know how to tag new on this site
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
No coolant doesnt move at all its like a blueish and a little white mixed i would say lol and injector brs where tested and they where healthy

white smoke is either coolant getting burned or raw diesel going out the exhaust stroke. im thinking that one of those two things is your issue. blue smoke is oil, black smoke is excess fuel in the combustion stroke (rich condition). you might have a little ring wear contributing to the blue smoke, as its probably burning a little oil, but i dont think that would explain your issue, and if its running good with good power i doubt the rings are shot. How were the injectors tested? were they removed and tested, or is there health based on balance rates?

If balance rates, that is not the full story of the injector health. You need to also compare the return rates with the balance rates to determine if an injector is healthy. I would be very surprised if you had that kind of hazing with perfectly functional injectors.

If the injectors are actually all 100% in spec and you are not making oil, loosing coolant, or otherwise burning a fluid that should not be burned, then im not sure what your issue would be.

Last edited by J83; 10-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Quote:

white smoke is either coolant getting burned or raw diesel going out the exhaust stroke. im thinking that one of those two things is your issue. blue smoke is oil, black smoke is excess fuel in the combustion stroke (rich condition). you might have a little ring wear contributing to the blue smoke, as its probably burning a little oil, but i dont think that would explain your issue, and if its running good with good power i doubt the rings are shot. How were the injectors tested? were they removed and tested, or is there health based on balance rates?

If balance rates, that is not the full story of the injector health. You need to also compare the return rates with the balance rates to determine if an injector is healthy. I would be very surprised if you had that kind of hazing with perfectly functional injectors.

If the injectors are actually all 100% in spec and you are not making oil, loosing coolant, or otherwise burning a fluid that should not be burned, then im not sure what your issue would be.
Yea its still making good power im not sure if its blue or white it looks like a mix of both to me and injectors where hooked to computer and where in spec im thinking maybe a turbo seal? I also heard a fuel rail plug can cause this
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:58 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea its still making good power im not sure if its blue or white it looks like a mix of both to me and injectors where hooked to computer and where in spec im thinking maybe a turbo seal? I also heard a fuel rail plug can cause this
i would not expect a fuel rail plug to cause that. If the injectors were tested in the truck via scanner, that may not be very accurate depending on how they were tested. The truck needs to be up to temp, in park or neutral while not moving and you also need to log the return rates in addition to the balance rates. My guess is still at least one bad injector (stuck open). This can wash oil off the cylinder walls and result in damage to the cylinder and piston if not corrected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode