Turbo - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes
  • 1 Post By denarli6.6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Turbo

Anyone out there have any experience with Lincoln Diesels 63.5 turbo they are selling? I'm looking for a performance upgrade that will help me pulling my 34ft 5th wheel. 2 years ago I had to pull over in the rockies because the coolant and exhausts were getting hotter than I like. Not in the red but increasing to the point that was making me uncomfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear640 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with Lincoln Diesels 63.5 turbo they are selling? I'm looking for a performance upgrade that will help me pulling my 34ft 5th wheel. 2 years ago I had to pull over in the rockies because the coolant and exhausts were getting hotter than I like. Not in the red but increasing to the point that was making me uncomfortable.
Also I'm in the process of buying head gaskets with arp studs along with a 3" horn and possibly up and down turbo pipes, just installed 45% over sacs about a month ago so funding is limited but this turbo may help with my quest to get me preformance but I need to limit increases because too much seems to cause issues down the road.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Personally i would stay away from the wheel and cover upgrades and just wait til funds allowed to get a true upgraded drop-in charger for "performance" as you stated. The wheel & cover sounds like good cheap alternative to get some more flow and support higher HP, but nothing is being done to the exhaust side of the turbo. The more air going in ain't going to be doing a whole lot of good when it ain't flowing well on the exhaust side leading to higher drive pressure and EGTs. If you look at Lincoln's drop-ins i can about guarantee that you'll see they offer the turbos with the 10 blade turbine wheel for better flow.
sumdayduramax likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
I've never been a big fan of the drop in wheel or wheel and cover kits for a turbo. Just be cause the wheel is balanced when it is made doesn't mean that the turbo is balanced after the wheel is on. I am of the thought that it will work better/last longer if it is all balanced together and true on the compressor and exhaust side, so I would try to sway you more to the full drop-in replacement.

I have run a full drop-in replacement turbo, though not one of Lincoln Diesel's units. I'll not name the company here because I don't believe they are a forum vendor, but the 63mm Cheetah that I have used on my truck has worked very well and I have been extremely happy with it. I got the original version back in 2014, and then the updated version after they revamped it some in 2017.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode