Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   MBRP Exhaust (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-performance-parts-discussion/1002859-mbrp-exhaust.html)

Herk537 12-03-2019 05:16 AM

MBRP Exhaust

I am looking at the MBRP 4" exhaust for my 2001 Chevy I dont know a lot about MBRP. Are they a good company and will I get great sound out of the exhaust. It will be from the down pipe back no muffler.

DMAXfirefighter 12-03-2019 06:29 AM

Some people may argue differently, but a 4in exhaust is a 4in exhaust 'dunno; The sound isn't going to be much different from each other when comparing straight to straight basically.

But yes, MBRP is a good quality exhaust from my experience. I've installed a couple sets myself and they're not bad.

I've got a set of Diamond Eye 4in duals on my LB7 and I won't lie-good exhaust, royal pain to install... GrrRRrr

My last two exhausts I have put on my own trucks have been MagnaFlow 5in. By far the easiest installing and best fitting out of the box I have ever installed.

Herk537 12-03-2019 09:55 AM

What is the big difference between the 4" and 5" besides the size.

DirtyWilly 12-03-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herk537 (Post 12234331)

Literally just the amount of air that flows through it, might make it louder with a 5” also. No real performance gain between a 4” and 5”, just personal preference really.
Although some do say 4” for performance and 5” for sound.

DMAXfirefighter 12-03-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

4in versus 5in has no difference in performance at all that you are going to see. They will sound different, but not noticeably that I have really found on an LB7. On an LBZ, yes, it has a noticeable difference (at least on my trucks) on 4in versus 5in.

lddrew 12-03-2019 11:18 AM

I'd buy Flo-Pro if I were to redo mine. Mine is mbrp, and I do not like that they are sleeve fit rather than clamp unions. can be a bit of a pain in the ass to separate them if/when you go to add a muffler/resonator

you'll get more exhaust noise than you bargain for with a straight pipe on a LB7. personally I would run a 30" FTE resonator where the muffler would normally go to knock the drone down, which will be significant on a LB7, but not make it much/any quieter

77cruiser 12-03-2019 05:05 PM

I put a 4" MBRP on my 04 didn't fit that great, drones when towing. Sounds fine when no towing though.

para72 12-04-2019 11:09 AM

I run the 4 inch. Good fit,has a good sound

02 gmc sierra 2500hd crew cab short bed
3" zone kit
285/70/17 nitto Terra Grapplers
17x9 Raceline 930's
S&B intake
3" turbo horn
PPE boost valve
MBRP 3" downpipe
MBRP 4" exhaust
boost auto tow mirrors (dual function) Edge CTS2 with EAS EGT probe
LED conversion
Fass 90

J83 12-04-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herk537 (Post 12234213)
I am looking at the MBRP 4" exhaust for my 2001 Chevy I dont know a lot about MBRP. Are they a good company and will I get great sound out of the exhaust. It will be from the down pipe back no muffler.

I wont say that i was wowed by the MBRP kit i got, the instructions were lousy and did not match the parts i received.... however, it does all fit, work, and is nice and rigid once installed so i really cant complain, especially at the price point its at. I opted for a muffler on mine and dont seem to get nearly as much drone on the highway as others have commented on from a straight pipe.

Quote:

Unless your producing tons of power where you have the exhaust flow to utilize the larger pipe, there is no difference besides maybe the tone. the 5" is more likely to drone on the highway also.

lddrew 12-04-2019 04:37 PM

the mufflers that come in the kits are trash, may as well throw those in the scrap bin. I'd spend the money on either a FTE resonator or a MBRP "quiet tone" muffler. I have both a 12" FTE resonator and then the quiet tone muffler and I'm thrilled with the result after being straight piped for 5+ years. you tell yourself it doesn't drone in the cab, but holy hell the difference you notice when it's not there anymore. my LBZ still has a nice low idle and it's definitely not much quieter than the straight pipe was at idle, but off idle and under acceleration it is somewhere between stock and straight piped, with zero drone in the cab.

if you want more volume, run just a resonator, won't cut the sound down by much but the lack of drone is worth every nickel