help water pump - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

^^ thats what I was thinking,

how bad is it leaking? I was on a trip when mine started to leak drove it another 5 hrs home then waited a week or so to change it.

04.5 Chevy LLY Dually

Sinister EGR delete, PCV reroute. S&B intake with mouthpiece, 5" straight pipe, ATP tunning, Edge CTS insight, 6" Zone lift, 35" tires, FASS 165 lift pump, FASS suction tube, Titan tan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Its just a worktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardtfan View Post
Green? Duramax's take Dexcool which is red/orange. Might want to completely drain the system and change the thermostats, too. Good luck.
Maybe a former owner was smart and got that crap out of there ASAP. They dont call it "DeathCool" for nothing. I would never run the orange stuff in any vehicle I own.

06 LBZ EC/LB 4x4
Built Motor/Trans Bullseye s475/87/.9 45% Injectors Stock CP3 Built and Tuned by Blackout Performance 11.76 @ 115
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Flushed my system a few months ago and re-filled w/regular ole green anti-freeze, all is well here. That orange shit is over rated and over priced

Brandon
-04.5 LLY, CCSB, 4x4,Silver Birch
-68mm Cheetah, Suncoast stage 4/triple disc converter
-ATS manifolds/Up-pipes, Profab EGR delete, 4''exhaust
-Diamone Eye DP, AFE stage 2, EFI Live (Rob's tunes)
-Airdog 165, Shimmed FPRV, Re-routed PCV, 3'' IC tubes
-Superlift 6'' w/traction bars, heavy duty bumpers
-35'' Nitto Trail Graps on Mickey Thompson Sidebitters
-LBZ MP, Sleeves, N-Fab step bars, HID's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Only thing wrong with dexcool is user neglect. People think its a lifetime coolant when its not. Change it half as often as you would green stuff and there will never be any problems. And unless you have your motor in pieces (aka Chris) you couldn't pay me to switch. I've seen the sludge the two make when they mix. I don't want that crap in my motor! And the likelyhook of getting all the dexcool out is pretty small. So you both probably have nasty sludge crap hiding in the block.

Sent from my old skool Droid

Jesse
2004 LB7
Tastefully modded
Lots of miles
Built by Husker Diesel
1995 Chevy 2500 - 12v/NV4500 Swap
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Its just a worktruck

Dexcool also eats seals and gaskets. But yeah, the sludge is gross. I took my Regal to a shop that specializes in cooling systems and they flushed all the deathcool out and put the green stuff in for me. No sludge.

06 LBZ EC/LB 4x4
Built Motor/Trans Bullseye s475/87/.9 45% Injectors Stock CP3 Built and Tuned by Blackout Performance 11.76 @ 115
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

In the mid 90's it ate gaskets. And that was just due to some oversight for a few yrs on GM's part. Not since then though. Everything is dexcool compatible since the late 90's. Otherwise you'd hear about it constantly. Its a lot better than the old school green stuff in most ways. And its nice since it lasts a lot longer. Maybe 1 or 2 changes in the life of the vehicle instead of every 30-40k with green stuff like you "should do".

Sent from my old skool Droid

Jesse
2004 LB7
Tastefully modded
Lots of miles
Built by Husker Diesel
1995 Chevy 2500 - 12v/NV4500 Swap
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
I just drained the Dexcool from my LLY, and it looked brand new 8 + years. No sludge and I wondered if I should put it back!

There is nothing wrong with the new Dexcool.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 AM

I ran Dex in my 6.5 for 300,000 Km's. No problems. My Dmax has Dex in it and as far as I'm concerned I'm leaving it in.

Gerald

'05 LLY Crew 4x4

"Don't ask me for the answers, I only have one: That a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son".
- Larry Norman
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Well when I bought the truck it had dexcool in it after I wrecked the truck the dealership put the green stuff in the truck

2008 GMC ccsb 4wd white
MODS
5" strait pipe 6" tip DPF and EGR delete
raptor 100 lift pump
transgo shift kit
efi tow tune

leveled with 20x10 XD rapped with 305-55s A/T
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by ((RED)) View Post
OK today I walked out to my truck and seen a puddle of green sure enough coming from the weep hole how much time do I have? Dealer ship wants 1200+ to install one and im 16 hours from home. I'm in Texas city for work is there anyone close that has a garage that can help me?
I would leave the reservoir cap loose so it does not build pressure and drive it home. With the cool weather, you should be fine. Just watch the coolant level.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode