Downpipe removal & installation, LB7 - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiggids View Post
Depends your goals. Probably not that much benefit for a guy just looking for a few econ tunes and mild HP.
have to disagree, improving general air flow, be it gas or diesel, will have benefits, sometimes only small, sometimes quite large, all of course depending on other mods etc

'MONGO' '02 2500HD 4X4 CC/SB
Built transmission - GOS Performance; Suncoast 6 speed conversion
Flex-A-Lite 284 Electric Fans; Mean Green Alternator
4" MBRP Exhaust; MBRP Downpipe; BD Power Exhaust Manifold
BatMoWheel (stock turbo housing), PPE Boost Valve
ProFlow Air Horn; aFe cold air intake
Edge Insight CTS with EAS expansion system, EGT, Boost & Ambient Temp; EFILive via CTS - Idaho Rob
AirDog II DF-165
Firestone Ride Rite air helper springs
Bilstein shockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trout View Post
have to disagree, improving general air flow, be it gas or diesel, will have benefits, sometimes only small, sometimes quite large, all of course depending on other mods etc
How much benefit though for the average Joe wanting no more than 80hp over stock? Not enough benefit to out weight the cost. Improving airflow is great and all, but if you don't need more air...what's the point? Just like the guys trying to up the boost on small tunes when not needed...no point. You dont always need more air if you arent pushing enough fuel...I could see an intake MAYBE just because the lb7 intakes suck but a DP is pointless. The stock exhaust and downpipe are suffiecent enough for small tunes

Gideon
01 LB7
2007 Yukon Denali
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 PM

I ended up selling my profab downpipe after messing with it and stripping on of the bolts... it's reall not worth the hassle... but it towards efi live or save for tranny.

2007.5 LMM 4x4 long bed. Leveled with KMC Enduros and 275/70/18's. 5" Magnaflow turbo back. PCV-reroute. EFI Live via LBZrcks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

having a set of reasonable quality tools also goes a long way, Target or WALMART tools are really not suitable for a job like this.
Not saying that any on this thread use cheap tools, but I've learned the hard way over the years.
Another important factor is patience and taking ones time, not easy to have when things are tight and just downright shitty, when I loose it, I walk away, time out, think about it and then get back to it, its amazing how after some time out all of a sudden it falls into place.

'MONGO' '02 2500HD 4X4 CC/SB
Built transmission - GOS Performance; Suncoast 6 speed conversion
Flex-A-Lite 284 Electric Fans; Mean Green Alternator
4" MBRP Exhaust; MBRP Downpipe; BD Power Exhaust Manifold
BatMoWheel (stock turbo housing), PPE Boost Valve
ProFlow Air Horn; aFe cold air intake
Edge Insight CTS with EAS expansion system, EGT, Boost & Ambient Temp; EFILive via CTS - Idaho Rob
AirDog II DF-165
Firestone Ride Rite air helper springs
Bilstein shockers
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:25 PM

When i rebuilt my Lb7 i went back with a 50 over block, 100Hp Industrial racing injectors, alternating cam, 64 mm stealth turbo, 4 inch off road stainless racing exhaust and EFI Live by Industrial Injection. I heard replacing that down pipes a bitch to change. So two questions. Will it make any performance difference and I have the heat wrapped 3 inch MSRP down pipe. Do you still need that pain in the ass heat shield. Thanks for the comme nb ts in advance
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glass View Post
When i rebuilt my Lb7 i went back with a 50 over block, 100Hp Industrial racing injectors, alternating cam, 64 mm stealth turbo, 4 inch off road stainless racing exhaust and EFI Live by Industrial Injection. I heard replacing that down pipes a bitch to change. So two questions. Will it make any performance difference and I have the heat wrapped 3 inch MSRP down pipe. Do you still need that pain in the ass heat shield. Thanks for the comme nb ts in advance
If you’ve got everything back together I’d forget it, unless your literally trying to squeeze every ounce of power out that you can, if you pull the motor/cab again yeah go for it, 1628% easier

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode