LB7 Injectors and Turbo - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

LB7 Injectors and Turbo

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get y'all's opinion on this setup. I have a stock 2002 LB7 that is due for injectors. I intend to replace them but I want to go with 30% over injectors. Would my stock components be able to handle these injectors. I also intend to get a FASS 165 lift pump to help with fuel filtration and fuel supply. Would I need to tune the truck after? I also plan to get a bigger turbo but in a couple of years. I am looking at Duramaxtuner's Stealth 64 and 67. Which one should I go with? I want that loud turbo whistle but I also want reliability and to keep my stock components. What do y'all think?

Thank you,

SGlll3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglll3 View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get y'all's opinion on this setup. I have a stock 2002 LB7 that is due for injectors. I intend to replace them but I want to go with 30% over injectors. Would my stock components be able to handle these injectors. I also intend to get a FASS 165 lift pump to help with fuel filtration and fuel supply. Would I need to tune the truck after? I also plan to get a bigger turbo but in a couple of years. I am looking at Duramaxtuner's Stealth 64 and 67. Which one should I go with? I want that loud turbo whistle but I also want reliability and to keep my stock components. What do y'all think?

Thank you,

SGlll3
i think that this largely depends on what tune you have on the truck, who made it, and how heavy your right foot is.

you will need to tune the truck to run 30 overs or it will just smoke like crazy. (you may want to look at the SAC injectors since they are supposed to be more reliable). Any time you add power you increase the risk of things breaking.

You can do everything your wanting to do on a stock engine and it will run fine until it doesn't. If you are after reliability your going to need to spend the money to do the build right. That means an upgraded transmission is in your future, and things like headstuds are probably not a bad idea. Additionally, before adding power you should make sure the truck is 110% in perfect mechanical working order or your funds should go towards fixing problems first.

With reliability being the primary concern, you should either keep it stock, maybe add a lift pump and some other small stuff to improve injector life and reduce wear. Or you should do the injectors, since they are due, add a light tune so you dont dump diesel everywhere out the tail pipe, then build the trans, then do your turbo and other toys. Its important to balance the fun upgrades with the functional ones. Adding big injectors, a turbo, dual CP3's and the like is fun, but if you have a stock engine, stock rods, stock head bolts, your likely to run into problems at some point. To keep the reliability factor high you need to also upgrade the engine and transmission components as you add power.

generally speaking it is considered safe to add 50-100 horse power over stock without any major modifications to the truck, note, that upgraded injectors are NOT required for this level of power. So the gains you would be wanting based off the injector upgrade would require a built transmission at minimum. Yes you can run the truck with the 30 overs and a safe tune that wont break things, but if your buying 30 overs for power, thats probably not the direction you are looking to go.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Allison Transmission (stock)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM

The turbo won't really whistle much on the low end. The stock cp3 will pushit but I'd go with a stroker 12 would be best if your wanting to go big power down the road but a stock is fine with 30 over. I'm running a s366sxe with stock cp3 and sticks and I'm fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM
DF Sponsors

I would highly recommend paying just a few dollars more and getting a set of SAC 45 injectors. The SAC 45 injectors and are V2 64mm turbo work very well together! Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions for me.

Looking for LB7 Injectors?
Check these prices out!....

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties .........
Phone: 920-361-7700

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I don't understand " injectors are due".
If the truck is not puffing white smoke at idle it's pretty much a wast of $ to change them injectors.
The LB7 came stock with inadequate fuel filtration and that is why injectors were failing early. The best thing to do for your injectors if you haven't already done it is to get a catapiller fuel filter adapter and use the cat filter. Diesel fuel can be very dirty and the dirt particles in the fuel sand down the tip of the injector until they do not seal well anymore and start dripping fuel.
Save the huge expense of injectors and give your injectors clean fuel.

04 GMC Dually
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder1957 View Post
I don't understand " injectors are due".
If the truck is not puffing white smoke at idle it's pretty much a wast of $ to change them injectors.
The LB7 came stock with inadequate fuel filtration and that is why injectors were failing early. The best thing to do for your injectors if you haven't already done it is to get a catapiller fuel filter adapter and use the cat filter. Diesel fuel can be very dirty and the dirt particles in the fuel sand down the tip of the injector until they do not seal well anymore and start dripping fuel.
Save the huge expense of injectors and give your injectors clean fuel.
Just because it isn't smoking doesn't mean the injectors are fine. There is a lot more to injector health than that.... Yes, filtration is a KEY element to keeping injectors happy, but that's not the only reason LB7 injectors went bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglll3 View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you, SGlll3
Saying that your stock components can handle that setup is easy to do, but there are a lot of things that factor in to that. Tuning, driving habits, condition of engine parts and maintenance. But I would say yes as a general answer. I have a 2002 that I have been sled pulling with since 2012. My truck is set up with Fass 165, 60% injectors, LBZ cp3, and a Fleece 63mm Cheetah turbo. I competitively sled pulled up until the end of the 2017 season on a completely stock engine, with stock head bolts and gaskets. You have to realize, I was playing with fire-and I knew it. But I made it all that way on a stock engine with 266k miles.

I agree with @[email protected] with going with the SAC 45s. And yes, tuning after doing the larger injectors will let you get the full benefit of the injectors, even if you don't do the turbo for a while.

I have never run a Stealth, but I know a handful of people that have. Most of them had turbo issues pretty soon after install. They all have gone different directions with their setups. Either way you go, if you don't use your head and treat the truck sensibly after you have fueling and air flowing well, a 63/64/67mm charger is enough to hurt a stock engine if beat on the wrong way.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The upgraded stock filter in my opinion is as good or better than investing in a adapter and a cat filter, many have had problems with air leaking through the adapter and the ratings on the new stock filters is virtually the same as the cat filter.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

If your wanting the whistle more then anything , I just put on a wcfab intake an horn an hsp cold an hot side tubes (which was free, givin to me by a friend) an believe me or not you hear the turbo 110% more, now looking at the price to actually buy all that I don’t know, it sounds good but that a chunk just for sounds. But I was amazed at the difference I won’t lie

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
If your wanting the whistle more then anything , I just put on a wcfab intake an horn an hsp cold an hot side tubes (which was free, givin to me by a friend) an believe me or not you hear the turbo 110% more, now looking at the price to actually buy all that I don’t know, it sounds good but that a chunk just for sounds. But I was amazed at the difference I won’t lie
the colors are off but free is free, an it’s not like people are looking at it while going down the road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47DFF4B6-97B6-46CD-83BB-6F2D577260B9_1555201816503.jpg (39.9 KB, 5 views)
mray likes this.

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Coolant issue | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode