LB7s running SAC injectors?????? Chime in please - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Actually most fuel stations have filters built into their pumps or some where else in the plumbing. Those filters are intended to ensure that the fuel they sell meets certain minimum standards. That doesn't mean that the filters are good enough for our purposes though. I worked at a station when I was a youth that had a problem with one of the gas pumps losing prime and dropping to something like 1 gal/min. They tried a lot of things to make it work right including bypassing the filter in the pump for a while.

Eventually they found that there was a leak in the pipe from the tank to the pump so they moved the actual pump from the island to near the tank. That made it pump a lot faster but of course it turned an air leak into a fuel leak. It was putting fuel into the ground for a long time before they dug up the lines and fixed it. You can thank tricks like this for the EPA regulations about double walled plumbing and tanks that can be inspected for leaks. Many of those old stations were not worth refitting with good tanks and pipes so they closed.

It is correct that fuel from most stations comes from the same source. Most diesel, heating fuel, avgas, gasoline, etc comes through a common pipe line from the refinery to the tank farm in the city where you live. There is some separation between different products. They tend to use heating fuel and diesel as separators between different batches but there is always some cross contamination at the start of any batch. It is unrealistic to think that there are 20 different types of gasoline coming through the pipeline.

A things happen to the fuel at the tank farm before it goes into the truck but the basic fuel is from the same refinery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Was more referring to local refineries more than stations - although stations are important too - especially when it comes to water. There is a refinery here in Baton Rouge that ALL the local gas and diesel comes from. It's an Exxon refinery that dates back to before WWII. No matter what brand fuel or what station you buy from around here, it came out of that refinery. Probably 90+% of the roughly 30,000 gallons of diesel I've pumped into this truck came from there. My brother, on the other hand, lived in Phoenix and Houston for most of the first ~130k miles (first set of injectors) on his truck. Obviously different oil refineries making the fuel he was buying.

This is about the only real differences I can call out between his truck and mine yet he seems to get ~130k / set of injectors where I get 80k / set. There is also the fact that I towed a good bit more with my truck than he did with his but not sure how much that comes into play either.

Regardless, there is a large range of mileage that people see on LB7s for injector life. A lot of the ones I've seen claim 200k+ miles on factory injectors were completely stock trucks still running factory filter setups with OEM filters.

What causes the huge disparity? I'm not sure but as far as I can tell, it's not Air Dogs and such. I've never seen anyone who could prove that they got 10 additional miles on a set of injectors after installing an Air Dog or what-ever filter system.

What I do know is that the SAC type injectors should pretty much solve the problem.
mizterwizard likes this.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 407,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Next Step | Tuner? »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode