Help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Help

I have a 2003 Chevy silverado 3500 LB7 I am new to this forum and I am in need of some advice. My truck has started smoking at idle and has a slight surge in It. I have heard poeple tell me that it could be injectors. I have also had people tell it is my trubo.When I shut the truck off I can hear the trubo spooling down and it sounds like it has a grind to it. I am looking for some trouble shooting tips,stuff I can do to help me figure out which it is or why it would be doing this. Thank you for your time and tips.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:40 PM

For the turbo, take the filter an intake mouth off an feel for play, it’s a pain to get the mouth off by the way. The other stuff could be injectors or the regulator, how many miles is on it an when was the injectors done last?

Also, I wouldn’t run it if your hearing a grinding noise for the turbo, if you start sending metal through the motor then a little smoke an injectors will be the least of your worry’s

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussell91 View Post
I have a 2003 Chevy silverado 3500 LB7 I am new to this forum and I am in need of some advice. My truck has started smoking at idle and has a slight surge in It. I have heard poeple tell me that it could be injectors. I have also had people tell it is my trubo.When I shut the truck off I can hear the trubo spooling down and it sounds like it has a grind to it. I am looking for some trouble shooting tips,stuff I can do to help me figure out which it is or why it would be doing this. Thank you for your time and tips.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

while you may have a worn out turbo also, i highly doubt your turbo is causing your haze at idle. That is almost certainly injectors given its an LB7. You can pull the turbo mouth off and spin the wheel, it should turn freely with no noticeable play in the shaft, and none of the blades should be able to touch the housing.

I would do a balance rate and return test on the truck and see what the injector numbers look like, but my money is on injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
For the turbo, take the filter an intake mouth off an feel for play, it’s a pain to get the mouth off by the way. The other stuff could be injectors or the regulator, how many miles is on it an when was the injectors done last?

Also, I wouldn’t run it if your hearing a grinding noise for the turbo, if you start sending metal through the motor then a little smoke an injectors will be the least of your worry’s
^^ seriously, a bunch of powdered aluminum and cast iron would not be a good thing to pump into the engine. Hopefully your intercooler would catch the bulk of this, but its not worth finding out the hard way. If the failure was bad enough you might even start ingesting oil from the trubo and the engine could run away, though that would be an unlikely major failure.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 08-13-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I'm not familiar with any turbo issues; hopefully won't need to be in the near future either. Have you checked the balance rates on the injectors? I've gone through an ordeal myself so learned a bit about that. The TorquePro app will give you that info, which is about 5 dollars, an android app (not available for apple); and the OBD bluetooth reader from amazon (13 bucks or so). If this is something you'd like to pursue I can get you the exact one I purchased.
I had white haze at start and then gradually got worse by having the white haze on constantly while the truck was running. Ended up being injectors; sounds like you might have other problems; but definitely worth looking into as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Yeah if it was my truck an hearing the grinding noise as the trunk slows down I’d start with it for sure. The charger will set you back $1,000 give or take depending what you want/need an if you do the work yourself. Injectors ehh $2-4K again depending what brand an percents over you want or even stock for that matter, you doing the work always saves a lot! If it’s both by chance, well bite the bullet an keep the truck parked until it’s fixed. Doing a full send on metal through that motor will cost you way more. An who’s to say the used motor you buy hasn’t already been thrashed an right after you put it in it needs to come right back out.

For the sake of your wallet figure it out now an don’t pay twice for the work

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Super and J83 are dead on. If you want to confirm the turbo is grinding beyond a reasonable doubt and don't want to take the intake tube off, use a long handle screwdriver put the tip against the turbo housing and rest your temple or ear on the other end to pin point the grind, or use a mechanic's stethoscope and play doctor at start up and shutdown. NOTE: if you hear grinding the pin is out of the grenade and the spoon just popped off...you are on borrowed time.

2008 2500HD 4x4 CrewCab All stock (for now), Airdog Lift Pump
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl0310 View Post
Super and J83 are dead on. If you want to confirm the turbo is grinding beyond a reasonable doubt and don't want to take the intake tube off, use a long handle screwdriver put the tip against the turbo housing and rest your temple or ear on the other end to pin point the grind, or use a mechanic's stethoscope and play doctor at start up and shutdown. NOTE: if you hear grinding the pin is out of the grenade and the spoon just popped off...you are on borrowed time.
yup, you can run a turbo like that for a while, but sooner or later youll chip a blade or lose a blade and the thing will self destruct. I would not wish that on anyone. The stethoscope is a good idea, you can probably get a harbor freight special for only a few bucks.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode