2003 duramax, looking to build motor - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
01-04.5 LB7 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 01-04 LB7 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Forum Supporter

2003 duramax, looking to build motor

Looking to get more power out of my duramax, so far I’ve done a suncoast built tranny, triple disc converter, afe intercooler pipes, afe Intake, 4” exhaust, airdog lift pump, 230hp efi live tuning, and a MBRP 3” downpipe

Just wondering where I should go from where I’m at, and what I should build on the truck next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
you should be able to go up to 500-600 hp on an unbuilt motor.... but i would recommend at a minimum head gaskets and arp head studs for piece of mind reliability and bigger injectors while you are in there... re-tune for said injectors then maybe a moderately sized turbo to round it out. all depends on your budget options. IMO. (based off what i've done to mine so far)

Daily: 2004 Silverado 2500HD LB7 CCSB
6” Rough Country lift 35x12.50R20
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Forum Supporter

Thank you appreciate it, what about as far as the connecting rods, know those are good for 550 600 horsepower but wasn’t sure when I needed to replace those

2003 GMC Sierra 2500hd 4wd
Built suncoast tranny, suncoast billet converter, transgo shift kit, PPE boost valve, wicked wheel on turbo, electric cooling fans, 3” MBRP down pipe, 4” straight pipe exhaust, 165 gph airdog lift pump, 230 hp efi tuning, afe intercooler pipes hot and cold side, afe intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Garage
not unless you want to make more than 600hp, don't waste you time.

Daily: 2004 Silverado 2500HD LB7 CCSB
6” Rough Country lift 35x12.50R20
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-D-red-B View Post
you should be able to go up to 500-600 hp on an unbuilt motor.... but i would recommend at a minimum head gaskets and arp head studs for piece of mind reliability and bigger injectors while you are in there... re-tune for said injectors then maybe a moderately sized turbo to round it out. all depends on your budget options. IMO. (based off what i've done to mine so far)
Not saying your wrong by any means! But since you used “already in there” you might as well do the rods to. If your going to dive in an do injectors an gaskets you might as well do the rods. If not you’ll be pulling that motor out for a second time, replacing rods an whatever else might have failed.
Sure people are hitting high numbers on stock internals, not many tell you the mileage an how long it lasted
If you got the money, let’er rip tater chip, until she blows!
If not do it slowly, or save the money an do it all at once

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:46 PM

Putting in rods is NOT a "while you're there" job.
Talk to most performance shops, and they'll tell you its not worth it to preemptively do head gaskets and head studs. True, you don't know when they're gonna let go, but when they start to leak, usually its not the end of the world, and it wont leave you totally dead in the water.

Get a good turbo and some GOOD tuning to keep it alive and then worry about the engine when you have to. Saying you can only make 550hp on LB7 rods is a thing of the past. Lots of people know how to make good power on stock parts.

I'd say run your stock injectors for as long as you can with an upgraded turbo, until they give up. You'll most likely need another or an upgraded CP3 before you run out of injector.

I just went [email protected] on a stock 300,000 mile long block, stock injectors, and an S475, fuel only.
sumdayduramax likes this.

2001 ECSB LB7, ALL IN TRUCK PERFORMANCE TUNE, SELF BUILT TRANS,
5" INTAKE, S475 SINGLE TURBO, DUAL FUELERS, STOCK STICKS, CUSTOM HOOD STACK.
DHD FRONT BRACE, SLEEVES, BARS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelKnauber View Post
Putting in rods is NOT a "while you're there" job.
Talk to most performance shops, and they'll tell you its not worth it to preemptively do head gaskets and head studs. True, you don't know when they're gonna let go, but when they start to leak, usually its not the end of the world, and it wont leave you totally dead in the water.

Get a good turbo and some GOOD tuning to keep it alive and then worry about the engine when you have to. Saying you can only make 550hp on LB7 rods is a thing of the past. Lots of people know how to make good power on stock parts.

I'd say run your stock injectors for as long as you can with an upgraded turbo, until they give up. You'll most likely need another or an upgraded CP3 before you run out of injector.

I just went [email protected] on a stock 300,000 mile long block, stock injectors, and an S475, fuel only.
Decided on just waiting and will build the motor all at once, no point in pulling the motor out more than once, would custom tuning be the best way to go and get away from efi live?

2003 GMC Sierra 2500hd 4wd
Built suncoast tranny, suncoast billet converter, transgo shift kit, PPE boost valve, wicked wheel on turbo, electric cooling fans, 3” MBRP down pipe, 4” straight pipe exhaust, 165 gph airdog lift pump, 230 hp efi tuning, afe intercooler pipes hot and cold side, afe intake
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:25 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Not saying your wrong by any means! But since you used “already in there” you might as well do the rods to. If your going to dive in an do injectors an gaskets you might as well do the rods. If not you’ll be pulling that motor out for a second time, replacing rods an whatever else might have failed.
Sure people are hitting high numbers on stock internals, not many tell you the mileage an how long it lasted
If you got the money, let’er rip tater chip, until she blows!
If not do it slowly, or save the money an do it all at once

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:00 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis2000 View Post
Decided on just waiting and will build the motor all at once, no point in pulling the motor out more than once, would custom tuning be the best way to go and get away from efi live?

Efi is custom tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:42 PM

I’ll agree it’s not 100% necessary , but the title said looking to build motor, obviously there is many different options and opinions on that, to me if your going to build a motor your going to build it, maybe the title should of said what’s next for my build

2002 LB7 5 inch exhaust, ppe boost valve, boost/egt/rail pressure gauges, fass 95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode