No Oil in Engine - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Robertnoble22@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Garage
No Oil in Engine

I just got back from a 4 hour round trip drive and I got a "check oil level" notification on my dash. I checked the oil and the dipstick came up bone dry. Not a single drop of oil. I then poured about 6 quarts into the fill tube and checked again and it was half an inch above the full mark. I would have thought that if it was dry, 6 wouldn't fill it up all the way since the engine takes 10 quarts. The odd and scary thing for me is that I haven't seen any unusual smoke, I believe I am correct in assuming a little white smoke is normal with cold starts, right? The oil filter and the drain plug are both dry and there's no oil under the truck, so where did it all go? This engine also has 4,000 miles on it and in the 3 oil changes I have done, 10 quarts have gone in and right about 10 quarts have come out. I am very confused

2005 Red LLY 2500HD 4x4 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 84
The dipstick only goes a little ways down into the pan. It probably only measures the top 2 or so quarts of oil. I'm not sure how much exactly, but certainly not much more than that. So, even if it's not on the stick, you should only add a quart at a time and recheck after each quart. The last time, of course, is not likely to be an even quart to reach the full mark. Hopefully you drained out the overfill because it can be very, very bad to run with too much oil.

Sorry, I have no idea where the oil went. Reset to the full mark and then monitor it often to see if it's still disappearing.
carhauler and jdwarren like this.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
jake111 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
M.A.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Millersburg, OH
Posts: 8,431
Garage
Check to make sure you’re not getting oil in the coolant. Your oil cooler could be leaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
M.A.M. is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
henry42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 290
Garage
Make sure your dipstick is going all the way into the tube too.

Also these trucks need to sit for a few hours for an accurate check.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
henry42 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,255
Two more questions............

1. When did you last change the oil?

2. When did you last check the oil level?

The oil can only go 3 places.

1, leak out but you say it does not seem to be leaking anywhere

2. It can go through the engine and be burned

3. it can leak into your coolant in the Xmsn oil cooler. (look in the top of your overflow reservoir)

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
407driver is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Robertnoble22@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Garage
I checked it again after a little while and it settled out to a normal level, and it hasn't dropped since, but I am keeping an eye on it

2005 Red LLY 2500HD 4x4 LT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Robertnoble22@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
Check to make sure you’re not getting oil in the coolant. Your oil cooler could be leaking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will go check, it just had an oil cooler added with the new engine.

2005 Red LLY 2500HD 4x4 LT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Robertnoble22@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Two more questions............

1. When did you last change the oil?

2. When did you last check the oil level?

The oil can only go 3 places.

1, leak out but you say it does not seem to be leaking anywhere

2. It can go through the engine and be burned

3. it can leak into your coolant in the Xmsn oil cooler. (look in the top of your overflow reservoir)
I changed the oil a couple months back, she just got an engine swap so I have done 3 oil changes since august and she has about 4,000 miles now. I checked the oil level maybe a few weeks ago, I am going to watch it more closely now. And yes I have checked where I park and have found no fluid of any kind on the ground and the underside is clean. I also have not noticed any smoke other than normal unused fuel when I need to hammer the gas. The coolant idea is one I did not know about and I will check it tomorrow as well as do some research on how that happens and how to fix it or if I need to take it back to the shop.

2005 Red LLY 2500HD 4x4 LT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
carhauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 976
Garage
I am curious how come 3 oil changes in 4000 miles? who is doing the changes, I think you need to get a hands on personal grip on this trucks service if you are not , if you are doing this yourself then follow the plan on oil in water /water in oil ect as advised in posts. Let us know whats up?

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
carhauler is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:56 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just got back from a 4 hour round trip drive and I got a "check oil level" notification on my dash. I checked the oil and the dipstick came up bone dry. Not a single drop of oil. I then poured about 6 quarts into the fill tube and checked again and it was half an inch above the full mark. I would have thought that if it was dry, 6 wouldn't fill it up all the way since the engine takes 10 quarts. The odd and scary thing for me is that I haven't seen any unusual smoke, I believe I am correct in assuming a little white smoke is normal with cold starts, right? The oil filter and the drain plug are both dry and there's no oil under the truck, so where did it all go? This engine also has 4,000 miles on it and in the 3 oil changes I have done, 10 quarts have gone in and right about 10 quarts have come out. I am very confused
I believe the dipstick only measures 2 quarts of oil, so on a 10 quart pan, you could be 2 quarts low and the dipstick would be dry. since your now over the line by about 2 quarts, and your dipstick only reads 2 quarts, you were only 4 quarts low, not 6, which is still quite a lot but maybe helps explain why things are not adding up right.

Some white smoke is normal at startup, especially in the cold, however white smoke would not be oil burning, its water vapor (steam) and possibly raw diesel if you were to have an LB7. smoke from burning oil is bluish black due to the incomplete combustion of the oil.

When you say it only has 4K on it and 3 changes, are you saying the oil has been changed 3 times in 4K miles? if thats the case, no way the oils that low naturally, someone filled to gas truck capacity or something silly like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by carhauler View Post
I am curious how come 3 oil changes in 4000 miles? who is doing the changes, I think you need to get a hands on personal grip on this trucks service if you are not , if you are doing this yourself then follow the plan on oil in water /water in oil ect as advised in posts. Let us know whats up?
Thats not that strange if its a brand new, or newly built engine. Run it for 100-500 miles, then drain and fill, run it another 1K or so and drain / refill, then another change around the 3-4K mark. I know people who like to break engines in that way. Personally i see no issue with it, probably a waste of oil on the second change, but 40 bucks of oil is nothing compared to a new engine so to each there own.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.
J83 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome