Allison rough 3-4 shift - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By ALLY Cat
  • 1 Post By mray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Allison rough 3-4 shift

Need help with my transmission and if this is normal. A few months ago I had my transmission built by Mike L, awesome guy who definitely knows his stuff. The transfer case was done for so he said just be easy on it and get a new one, finally installed a new transfer case and I got on it for the first time, all the shifts are crisp and smooth until the 3-4 shift, it's very jerky and rough. Only happens when I pin it from a stop. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:51 AM

I'm not sure if the converter will lock at WOT, but it might be the torque converter locking at that point. If you're giving it enough power when it engages the locking can feel "bouncy" or rough. Mine does this when trying to pass someone right as it locks.

2005 LLY 3500 CCLB 215,000 miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:30 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Why don't you just ask Mike about it?
Noble_dmax and 407driver like this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

I do see the converter lock up in that gear on the monitor so possibly. Just trying to figure out if it's normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby6600 View Post
I'm not sure if the converter will lock at WOT, but it might be the torque converter locking at that point. If you're giving it enough power when it engages the locking can feel "bouncy" or rough. Mine does this when trying to pass someone right as it locks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

The man gets phone calls all day long about stupid things, I'd rather not bug him over it if it's something that's normal. If it's not a normal thing then I'll give him a call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

I just dont like to waste people's time over a small deal if I can, especially with a busy man like Mike, it's my way of showing respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Wouldn't bother me to contact the person who rebuilt my tranny if I thought I was having a problem especially with the cost involved with rebuilding these trannys. JMO
407driver likes this.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode