LLY Headgasket Time? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By AlisoBob
  • 1 Post By BlownL36

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

LLY Headgasket Time?

NOPE!!! I've been losing coolant in the LLY for about 2 months now. S-l-o-w-l-y leaks out and needs a top off every so often. I'm thinking headgaskets for sure with 300k miles, 220k of those with a 100hp tune. Never any drips, never any smell, never any dried coolant spots. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

So I have a few spare hours today, and decide to get after it. I break out the ol' $25 eBay pressure tester, find the right adapter, hook her up and giver her a few pumps..... nothing at 20psi which is where the gauge redlines.

So I pump it up to 25 psi and a few tiny drops drip right down off the heater core connectors and onto the tranny dipstick tube, then run down the tube on to the hot Allison 1000 where they flash off, due to the hot tranny case. That's why there were no drops on the ground!!

I then touch the thing under pressure, because what mechanic can resist grabbing something and giving it a good shake?

BLAMMO!! thing pops off and sprays coolant everywhere!!

$7 later , I'm back in action. ( Actually, $14 later because I did both of the connectors. Nothing is too good for my baby.....)

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...15722_253575_0

Now , these are all set for another 300k miles, and my headgaskets live to see another day. I took a quick spin down to San Diego and back.... and all is good.

If you dont have one of these radiator pumper-upper-er's.... you need to gert one. They are lifesavers.....
ALLY Cat and mray like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Excellent delivery

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chad
04.5 4x4 ~160k miles
DE 4", 5100s, LBZ MP, S&B LBZ air, KoryWillis Go-go Juice, Insight CTS, ADII, 8' Fisher, Highroller Ultimate Idler Arm, Profab delete, XD RareParts tie rods

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that... :taunt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The moral of the story? Spend the $14 now, if your truck has a ton of miles or years on it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Glad you figured it out, I did mine 2 years ago after 240k Miles....
AlisoBob likes this.

04.5 CHEVY 2500HD CC/SB LT-Green, 2" Leveling Kit, Bilsteins, Wicked Wheel 2, Boost Stick, 4" MBRP Turbo Back w/ 5" tip, LMM Resonator Box, Airdog LP, PCV reroute, Airbox Mod with AFE Filter, LBZ MP, Fleece Tapshifter, EGR Delete, Edge CTS2, Mishimoto Trans Cooler, EFI Live Tuned/ Idaho Rob,5% tint, 260K and still going strong,
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Mine on the 01 broke at about 140,000 miles.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode