Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Glow Plug fun today!!!

7K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  JimmyD 
#1 ·
So, my crew cab dually that I purchased brand new in 05 threw a code that the #2 glow plug was dead so today I went out to replace it. Used penetrating oil as recommended and it came out fairly easily. The new Autolite glow plug however took a bit of persuasion to get in to where the threads would pull it in. After installing it I noticed while trying to get the retainer nut back on the electrical lead that there was a tiny bit of motion and that scared me so I pulled it back out to use another new glow plug only the electrode stuck in the head. Now it looks like the entire top end of the motor is coming off to freshen it with only 147K miles on it. Breaks my heart but I don't know what else I could do. Am I just the lucky one or what?

#2 ·
There are extractor tools to deal with a GP.

Your big mistake though, is using a Fjord part on your Dmax.

ONLY install acDelco GPs....as the others won't play nice in your Dmax.

#4 ·
mainly it's a voltage/amp issue that doesn't jive.

#6 ·
I've already purchased eight new AC Delco 63G Glow Plugs for the top-end rebuild that this truck is headed for. Sadly, this truck has been perfect since new and I really hate to tear it down like I have to to get the rotten stuck electrode out! Well, I'll do the valves all fresh/new and hope it always runs as good as it did yesterday.

#8 ·
If all of the body of the glow plug came out, and its just the tip of the plug left in there, take it out and run it hard for a couple pulls, get the cylinder pressures up a bit and see if it will push it out. When I worked at our local GMC dealer, we had an LBZ that had a tip broken off and lodged in the head. Our service manager at the time said 'lets go out back and force this thing out' and a couple good hard pulls later on the back road, the engine had a huge compression leak-blew the tip out and all was good. Its worth a shot at least

Reactions: BIOTEC
#9 ·
I've already resolved to do the entire top end. Gasket sets are ordered and new parts, as necessary will be ready for this. Only 147K on this engine but I suspect it would react well to a valve job, new injectors and freshened parts. I love this truck and won't risk this glow plug getting in that combustion chamber where a complete rebuild is required.

I really do appreciate the feedback. I love going to a knowledge center like Duramax Diesel Forum.

#11 ·
The Army went through a period where they were having glow plugs in 6.2's in HMMWV's and CUCV's would swell up and the tips would break off when they tried to remove the defective glow plug. Different engine but very similar situation, though probably even more subject to damage with the Duramax direct injection vs. the 6.2L precombustion chambers. The word went through the rumor mill that it was okay to drive the broken off piece into the precombustion chamber and install the new glow plug. When those engines came in for rebuild they had all kinds of problems like damaged pistons, scored cylinder wall, bent valves held open by debris from the injector tip and so on. The trick of running the engine to blow out the tip worked a lot of the time though and I never heard of any problems from trying that.

Interesting result of the investigation was that the cause turned out to be cycling the glow plugs and then not starting the engine since the glow plugs rely on fuel being sprayed across them to prevent overheating. I doubt that's the issue here though. I've never cycled my glow plugs without starting the engine and day before yesterday got a CEL that turned out to be the #4 glow plug. My LBZ only has 80K on it so mileage isn't it. Maybe sitting too much lol.

#16 ·
That and buying the Autolite GPs in the first place.

#13 ·
The value of a forum, such as this is the collective mindset. I'm going to warm it up, take it out tomorrow and hammer it for maximum head pressure and see if the expansion of the head, coupled with the extreme pressure might just save me from pulling this top end. Wish me luck. My biggest concern is it getting sucked into the combustion chamber and wreaking havok so I can rebuild the entire mess. 'dunno;

#14 ·
Sounds like a crap shoot.............I wish you all the luck in the world!

Kindly let us know how it works out.>goodLuck

#15 ·
and dump the red font.....it's an irritant.

#17 ·
Well, the engine started perfectly and ran great but it didn't spit the glow plug out. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just drive it here in AZ for a bit as we seldom have cold starts like Nebraska and it's been running just fine with the #2 GP throwing me the code and being non-functioning anyway so for now, I'll put the remainder of that broken plug back in to insure the electrode doesn't somehow work itself out when I'm away from tools and leave me stranded. I may invest in that $270. extraction tool they make just for this.

Oh, and about the red font, I've been using that in forums since computers were invented so I'll not change despite the irritant to some. I'll simply apologize and ask you to scroll past my posts. :grin2:

#18 ·

the electrode doesn't somehow work itself out

Isn't that what you want? Wouldn't be hard to carry a glow plug and a wrench with you. Pretty sure they're all easily accessible through the wheel well. I know the entire driver's side is and IIRC the passenger side is just as accessible without the steering column in the way.

Of course, that's without knowing which gen truck you have. I know the LML is very accessible.

#20 ·
and ask you to scroll past my posts
....and carefully not hit the delete button. :rofl

#21 ·
So, with 14 total posts, one comes onto a forum, seeking help and/or advice. You are then asked to do the arduous task of discontinuing the use of red font to which you basically reply: "Piss off".

Got it. Guess that you really didn't need the help/advice anyway.

#22 · (Edited)
I can assure you, Doc, that you will get no information from me. You have earned 5th place with your misguided intransigence.

I find that horrid red font not just irritating but after your response it is repugnant. I simply refuse to see it again.

You are now only the 5th person I have ever added to my "Ignore" list.

Im guessing you truly are a Doctor...........because the big difference between a Doctor and God is............God doesn't think he is a Doctor

#23 ·
Hey doctor-- if you are so in love with the red crap why the change to black (normal) on your post to Texastec??

#24 ·
Mystery Roaming Editor....probably :howdy

#25 ·
I wondered how long it would take for that to happen.

#26 ·
IF he is a doctor-- bet I can guess what kind!

#27 ·
Y'all be nice now, everyone's welcome here at the DF.....I can handle the colors better than the wild OCD trauma triggers of 66xxxx cutting off the Quote ends (stops the gray isolation) followed by 300 =s and -s horizontal lines separating what would have been a highlighted quote from the post rhetoric....that is usually a passive aggressive insult to all. ;taz;taz

I do a lot of scan reading instead of focusing on every individual word in a post. So maybe the colors are more irritating for me than others. Kinda like those that post one long sentence paragraph without any punctuation to break up the cluster. It comes off as one big blur for me. :grin2:

#28 ·
I just find it difficult to read. It also puts me in mind of all the red pencil marks on my papers from the teachers in school..............I know I know, that was a long long time ago but they still come to mind when I see those all red posts.

#30 ·
Stick around Doc. Your use of bright colors makes it hard to read without being blurry to some of us. Red is usually reserved for "caution" notes.

#31 ·
........Red is usually reserved for "caution" notes.
For those of us in the aviation industry, red is a warning that indicates risk of loss of life, serious injury or major damage to or loss of the equipment.

After 50+ years in aviation, I don't like reading red as that is never good.

#32 ·
I have 40+ in aviation as well. Never liked seeing the red notes,lights,etc. when doing the maintenance or during flights after maintenance with flight crews-they got kinda jumpy at that🤠

Reactions: JimmyD
#33 ·
Again, I apologize for the red font but being called a douche, etc. tells me all I need to know about the respondants. I simply don't belong here and they made that abundantly clear. I'll have to figure things out on my own or find another forum where I'm welcome.
Actually, we're somewhat mechanical around here despite what others may think or call me.

#34 ·
I simply don't belong here and they made that abundantly clear.

New member, asks for info, gets info from a variety of sources....after about 8 of your posts with the 'Hey! Look At Me!' obnoxious font, I and others bring to your attention how much of an irritant it is to those of us who scan and read a LOT of forum posts/info...helping others. Yellow sux too. I can only imagine how bad the red is on the non classic view, where everything is yellow vs the classic view with everything blue.

tells me all I need to know about the respondants
Your selfish response to those volunteering free help, raised the ire and you had to endure a SINGLE comic meme. Oh, the horrors.

FAR from every forum member relating to a douche function.

Figure out your issues with others, and stick around. You can even have your 'LOOK AT ME' font colors....just not the red.
Or carry on with the sour grapes "i'll take my ball and go..."
Folks over at the DP would luv that :rofl

#35 ·
At the end of the day, there are some pretty smart guys (both with diesels as well as other subjects) that visit this forum everyday. Truth of the matter is that most folks here want to help out a fellow DMr.

I think that you have been the recipient of blow back by coming across as a smart a$$. Clearly, it is not known if that was the intent or not.

Just like in life, there is an occasional dust up on the forum but calmer/cooler heads eventually prevail and we move onto the next topic and try to help the next guy or just shoot the breeze about almost anything.

All in all, this is a pretty cool place to hang out.peace!!

Reactions: 407driver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.