Glow Plug fun today!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Unhappy Glow Plug fun today!!!

So, my crew cab dually that I purchased brand new in 05 threw a code that the #2 glow plug was dead so today I went out to replace it. Used penetrating oil as recommended and it came out fairly easily. The new Autolite glow plug however took a bit of persuasion to get in to where the threads would pull it in. After installing it I noticed while trying to get the retainer nut back on the electrical lead that there was a tiny bit of motion and that scared me so I pulled it back out to use another new glow plug only the electrode stuck in the head. Now it looks like the entire top end of the motor is coming off to freshen it with only 147K miles on it. Breaks my heart but I don't know what else I could do. Am I just the lucky one or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:26 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
There are extractor tools to deal with a GP.

Your big mistake though, is using a Fjord part on your Dmax.

ONLY install acDelco GPs....as the others won't play nice in your Dmax.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
There are extractor tools to deal with a GP.

Your big mistake though, is using a Fjord part on your Dmax.

ONLY install acDelco GPs....as the others won't play nice in your Dmax.
I suppose we live and learn - the hard way, all too often. We use Autolite plugs in our GM powered drag cars and have had nothing but great luck with them. OK, ACDelco for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
mainly it's a voltage/amp issue that doesn't jive.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM

And replace all of them at the same time.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
I've already purchased eight new AC Delco 63G Glow Plugs for the top-end rebuild that this truck is headed for. Sadly, this truck has been perfect since new and I really hate to tear it down like I have to to get the rotten stuck electrode out! Well, I'll do the valves all fresh/new and hope it always runs as good as it did yesterday.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:35 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
My experience is different, Ive replaced only 2 that failed and the rest are doing fine. The GPs are not like spark plugs in a gasser, they work only for a short period of time each cold start.

I would recommend that while you are in there remove all 4 on that side and put some good thread anti seize (I like Kopr-Kote) so the threads will not seize later.

and if you cannot get the GP out even with the extractor you can put a 3.5 ohm on the end of the GP lead and ground it. This will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and working. MUCH less cheaper and quicker than a head removal.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-16-2020 at 05:39 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
If all of the body of the glow plug came out, and its just the tip of the plug left in there, take it out and run it hard for a couple pulls, get the cylinder pressures up a bit and see if it will push it out. When I worked at our local GMC dealer, we had an LBZ that had a tip broken off and lodged in the head. Our service manager at the time said 'lets go out back and force this thing out' and a couple good hard pulls later on the back road, the engine had a huge compression leak-blew the tip out and all was good. Its worth a shot at least

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I've already resolved to do the entire top end. Gasket sets are ordered and new parts, as necessary will be ready for this. Only 147K on this engine but I suspect it would react well to a valve job, new injectors and freshened parts. I love this truck and won't risk this glow plug getting in that combustion chamber where a complete rebuild is required.

I really do appreciate the feedback. I love going to a knowledge center like Duramax Diesel Forum.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
The new Autolite glow plug however took a bit of persuasion to get in to where the threads would pull it in.
This is where you screwed up. When dealing with the glowplugs.... NEVER force anything.
407driver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in