Another LLY...Another Headgasket.. VIDEOS - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Angry Another LLY...Another Headgasket.. VIDEOS

Hey guys,

Truck has just over 200K and after about 500 Miles on the new water pump replacement, cross over pipe, new res. cap, and T stats I developed coolant pushing out of the res at idle. I haven't done any formal testing to check exhaust gasses but has all the symptoms.

Here's some videos for sh*ts and grins

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

As I'm building my case for the head gasket repair, the truck has me confused slightly.

The day the coolant started pouring out of the overflow noticeably at idle was a day that I did an injector clean (Half gallon of diesel and 16 OZ of AC Delco Upper engine cleaner) and was running it at idle for 1.5 hours. This truck is an 2005 GMC LLY and my understanding is there's no injector cups on this motor.

Here is a video of the truck after a 8 hour day of snow plowing and about 150 Miles. I did not observe any coolant coming out of the res. at all yesterday. Zero low coolant lights. I did not run the truck hard at all. I think what i have is a very small head gasket issue/Weak head studs? I believe when the truck is ran hard the heads lift more than it does under normal running conditions and compromises the system until its cool again.

Let me know what you think

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

EDIT to original post: Truck was known to be overfilled with coolant in the res. but was continuing to leak enough to have loss of heat at idle with continuous coolant pushing from the res.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax/DSP5/Deleted/4'' Exh./K&N/Ebay MP. 200k Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Are you sure you got all the air purged out of the cooling system? Sometimes it's really difficult to get it all purged, even when you open the bleed port on the T stat housing.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
Are you sure you got all the air purged out of the cooling system? Sometimes it's really difficult to get it all purged, even when you open the bleed port on the T stat housing.
Yes Sr. At least the best to my knowledge. I've bleed the system with opening the cap a few times since, truck has great heat.

I've had two shops pressurize the system after, one, I had them do an inner tie rod, and two after I had my water pump done and both said they passes with no leaks.

This truck confusing the hell out of me.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Is the truck suppose to have zero pressure in the coolant tank after sitting over night? In the last video I explained the truck was sitting over night after running it for 8 hours. I had a situation were I ran the truck that morning at 5AM and came back to check coolant tank pressure and had the same release as the video showed 6 hours later.

Alex

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

When I replaced my water pump, even though everything was purged I had to keep adding a pint or so of coolant almost daily to keep the level up to the line. Finally after about 3 weeks of daily driving it stabilized. Pressure should return to atmosphere when engine is fully cooled, there is a rubber check valve in the cap that should open up to vent the reservoir when it cools.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
When I replaced my water pump, even though everything was purged I had to keep adding a pint or so of coolant almost daily to keep the level up to the line. Finally after about 3 weeks of daily driving it stabilized. Pressure should return to atmosphere when engine is fully cooled, there is a rubber check valve in the cap that should open up to vent the reservoir when it cools.
Had to do the same thing when I did my head gaskets. A little un-nerving to say the least! Haha.
Level hasn't moved in almost a year now.

Sent from my google machine

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4–Charcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode