04 1/2 lly wont start without wd40 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

04 1/2 lly wont start without wd40

I have an 04 1/2 LLY that wont start without help from wd40 or starting fluid(im aware that starting fluid can destroy this engine). Once you get the truck started it will run all day long just not as good as it should. Ive already checked the usual=filter,housing,wiring. once the truck is running and i shut it off as long as I start it back up within a few seconds it will start right back up but if I let it sit for about 30 seconds it wont start again without using something. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
Welcome to the BEST Duramax Forum on the Net-!

Does it start if you pump the primer bulb on top of the fuel filter housing-? Most common problem is the seals dry out in the filter housing, and it sucks air-- that allows the fuel to drain back down the fuel line. Pumping the primer should bring the fuel back up. And it should start.

Many vendors on this site have the seal kit for the filter housing-- $20 and up. The dealer only sells the housing --big $$$.

Moving to LLY for more exposure-- truck runs.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Mine was doing the same thing. I had replaced the filter and the filter head. I checked the wiring and the injector connectors. I had finally gave up and took it to a mechanic. He said that 3 of my injectors went out. How the heck does that happen. I'm not looking forward to spending a lil over a grand on injectors tomorrow :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

No it wont start if you pump the primer. the primer stays hard to push so I know its not the housing or mthe primer. Its looking like injectors unless someone else has any more ideas?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM

fuel filter?

2004.5 LLY duramax, victory red
PICTURES: http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l607/jh123935/
chrome grill, chrome door handles, iron cross nerf bars, Fox Racing Decal(rear window)
Banks six gun w/ SL, K&N cold air, turboback MBRP 4" exhaust (no more kitty), EGR blocked
Gear Double Pump rims wrapped w/ Cooper ST's and a Cognito Leveling kit
Custom bumper from prindle manufacturing and performance
Soon to Come: Line-x bed and rocker pannels Wish List: suncoast tranny
2004 LB7 ECLB - ranch pickup
2001 Yamaha R1 - everything is modded
1973 Chevy Nova - 383 stroker
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
I doubt you have bad injectors-- LLY engines do not eat injectors like the early LB7. Mechanics replace them-- they make good money and are easy to do on a LLY-- or they don't know what else the problem can be, and hope that will fix it.

The FICM harness does short out, and it will act like injector problem, also the injector can have loose connector, and cause problems.

First, check for codes. Also read the rail pressure when cranking.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikrod View Post
Mine was doing the same thing. I had replaced the filter and the filter head. I checked the wiring and the injector connectors. I had finally gave up and took it to a mechanic. He said that 3 of my injectors went out. How the heck does that happen. I'm not looking forward to spending a lil over a grand on injectors tomorrow :-/

I just hope your mechanic did a return rate test on all your injectors before proclaiming you had 3 bad ones.

2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 PM

I just got my truck back yesterday. It starts now, but it isn't perfect. He said he just replace the 3 that were really bad. He said 2 other were poor, but not as bad as the other 3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:41 PM

was yours the lb7 or LLY motor?? I have a truck that won't start with out starting fluid witch I used thinking the motor was toasted so im going threw the list before I get a shop to hook up to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode