Stupid Question: coolant temps - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:30 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvDmax04.5 View Post
SO what is the low coolant temp going to hurt?
Poor fuel mileage, no heater....or long in coming up warm air.
In hot weather/working hard, overheat/spikes possible with no coolant cycling.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

So I changed out the thermostats, did a coolant flush, and gauge pretty much still acts the same: low load, sits at major tick between 160 and 210. Heavy load, spikes up to 210, but gets no higher.

I towed my 5th wheel this weekend, and it held at 210, even on a grade, so I guess everything is ok. We'll see what she does once warmer weather returns.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Like @novaman64 said, the gauges are not terribly accurate so an auxiliary monitor is a good way to see what temp the engine is actually seeing. I have a CTS2 in both of my trucks, and can tell you that the gauge on the dash shows significantly more movement than the temp actually fluctuates. My CTS2 will show a change of less than 6*, while the dash will show a fluctuation of about 25*. So if you think the gauge is moving a lot, it may not really be changing that much in reality. Also, depending on mileage and surroundings, it may not hurt to clean the cooling stack as well. Even though the coolers may look clean from the outside, they will hold a TON of gunk in the fins, and in between the radiator and intercooler. Just a thought and something to look at and think about

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 PM

Searching the forum myself with this question. Recently i've had to put some coolant in my 05LLY and was concerned about possible failures. Changed the cap and didn't notice a change. Took it to a local diesel mechanic to check it over. He said he ran it through the gambit of tests and didn't find anything. Suggested based on mileage and age i change the thermostats. I told him to go ahead as i'm buried at work and lacking for time right now. When he did it he said the stats were in the wrong position and on top of the o-rings instead of in the slot in the o-rings. They were not gm stats.

Before the change not issues at all, ran like a top, heat, didnt overheat etc. just a little lost coolant here and there. On the way home tonight i noticed the gauge now moves between 190 and 210. It has never done this before, always sat right at 180. Still runs like a top. Something to be concerned about or is this normal behavior?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to novaman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkmonkey View Post
Searching the forum myself with this question. Recently i've had to put some coolant in my 05LLY and was concerned about possible failures. Changed the cap and didn't notice a change. Took it to a local diesel mechanic to check it over. He said he ran it through the gambit of tests and didn't find anything. Suggested based on mileage and age i change the thermostats. I told him to go ahead as i'm buried at work and lacking for time right now. When he did it he said the stats were in the wrong position and on top of the o-rings instead of in the slot in the o-rings. They were not gm stats.

Before the change not issues at all, ran like a top, heat, didnt overheat etc. just a little lost coolant here and there. On the way home tonight i noticed the gauge now moves between 190 and 210. It has never done this before, always sat right at 180. Still runs like a top. Something to be concerned about or is this normal behavior?
As previously mentioned, dash gauge is totally inaccurate. Get a CTS or something else to check coolant temps with. Generally duramax's have a 180 and 185 therm, so should run around there (going up hills 190-200). On my truck, 185 (actual temp) shows as 210 on the dash gauge.

-Jimmy (aka DmaxStoreJimmy)
08' Silverado 3500HD CCLB LMM 4x4 - Build Thread
02' Silverado 2500HD CCLB LB7 4x4 - RIP 12/15/2016

#1 member 3500 LB SRW Club

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
DURAMAX ONLY STORE 1-877-4MY-DMAX
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 PM

I have a blutooth OBDIi adapter in the truck that i use with the Torque app on my phone. On the way to work tomorrow i'll watch what the computer says. Just surprised that it was above the 180 mark and moving so much. Before it never moved once it warmed up. When i looked at the old stats they stuck open and move with moderate pressure. Maybe i should have kept them.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkmonkey View Post
Just surprised that it was above the 180 mark and moving so much.
The two T-stats are 180* & 185*....you're fine, it's where it should be.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode