Shuttering/Loping just barely above idle - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Shuttering/Loping just barely above idle

Having some issues with my 2005 LLY, runs okay when cold. Every now and then when it's warmed up it has this strange shuttering/loping sound. Normally (notice) happens after I've been driving and I pull into a parking lot or gas station. If you let it idle a bit it smooths out but as soon as you press the pedal just barely it comes back. When I say just barely I mean 1% according to the cts2. Once I move the pedal any more it smooths out and sounds normal when reving then returns to idle normally. It seems to make no difference if it's in gear or park

I've been having issues with p0045 and p0046 codes as well as p2563. Which I know the first 2 are under and overboost codes. I figured the turbo vanes were getting stuck and causing the codes.

What I was wondering is will stuck vanes cause an issue like I'm describing?

I don't feel like it's the fpr because to was replaced not too long ago and desired and actual mirror each other even when it's acting up.

2005 Chevy 2500 CC LLY 220000 miles
Profab EGR Delete
LBZ Intake Horn w/ Profab intake kit 4"
Straight stock exhaust
Edge CTS 2 Evolution (monitor only)
Kennedy Diesel Single LP w/ Wix filter housing BF1212 water separator pre pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Does your cts show actual vs desired vane position? That'd probably answer your question.

Under boost can also be caused by a leaking intake connection somewhere.

2005 LLY 3500 CCLB 215,000 miles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

It definitely could. Can try cleaning the vps and checking wires first. Could replace the vps and solenoid n If that doesnt help may have to pull it and clean the vanes. By that time you're a few hundred short of a new danvile 3794. Check all your boots and connections etc also.

My name is Nic
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

The CTS only shows actual vane position so I can't see demand to verify but I have noticed that sometimes it gets stuck at a percentage and finally moves when its "forced to".

I took the vps sensor out and turned the key on and pushed the plunger on the sensor to verify it was operating like it should. Gave a very linear 100-0% reading so I'm getting more and more sure I need to pull the turbo and clean the vanes.

Is the vane solenoid on the right side of the turbo with the snap ring? Can I pull that and actuate the vanes manually to verify sticky spots?

I have had the boots and boost tubes off to check for leaks and didn't find any so I cleaned the connections good and put them back together.

Profab EGR Delete
Straight stock exhaust
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to give an update, I decided to remove the turbo and clean the vanes since I couldn't move the actuator. This was my first time removing a turbo on a duramax and all I can say is it wasn't fun, pretty sure I invented 6 new curse words taking it. Glad I used pb blaster a few days ahead. Once it was out I split the turbo to find the unison ring stuck to the lip it sets on, had to pry it off with a screw driver. Shined it all up and coated it with coppper antiseize and put it back together and it cycles smooth as butter. Hopefully once it's back up and running that fixes the shuttering and improves a few other things (power,mpg,etc.).

Profab EGR Delete
Straight stock exhaust
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Well got it back together and have been driving it. While it did resolve the codes I still have the choppy/loping sound right above idle. Does it mostly when warmed up when pulling up to stop. If you let it set in gear (~3 sec) it'll smooth back out but when just barely giving it and throttle to drive off it will start loping again like it has a cam. Also does the same thing in any other gear including park. I've check a few things to verify it's not them. The reluctor ring, it was tight with no movement. Checked the ficm harness for wear spots but found none. Removed the edge cts2 and lift pump with no lasting effect. I did notice that the economy tune seemed to have the cam effect more noticeable than stock. I checked balance rates @177 degrees and idling for several minutes, I'll try to upload a picture. Most seem out of spec but I don't get any smoke even while the cam effect is happening. This problem doesn't seem to effect the way the truck drives but is an annoyance and sounds bad. Could this be injectors? I'll try ice picking them to see if that helps but not getting and codes other than egr codes which I had before this problem arose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0242_1553746729808.jpg (19.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243_1553746793161.jpg (19.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244_1553746808077.jpg (19.0 KB, 16 views)

Profab EGR Delete
Straight stock exhaust
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Try the ice pick first. Can run the ac delco cleaner through it also. What is desired vs actual rail pressure when this is happening? It could be a fpr issue. If those dont work I'd say its time for new injectors. Those balance rates arent great by any means. I'd get some stock or 45% overs if you plan on nodding it further from @[email protected]. They have great prices and customer service is top notch.

My name is Nic
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD,
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I'll try ice picking them tonight. I data logged with the edge will it was doing this and made a graph of desired vs actual rail pressure and they are basically a mirror of each other. As for the injector cleaner your talking about the AC DELCO X66P? Does the dealers still carry this because it seems pretty expensive online for the 16oz bottle. I checked balance rates again with the temp around 177 and got different #'s except for 4 so I'll post a pic of that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0251_1553815911793.jpg (9.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0249_1553815929036.jpg (31.0 KB, 10 views)

Profab EGR Delete
Straight stock exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode