2005 Duramax will turn over will not crank! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

2005 Duramax will turn over will not crank!

Hey all, I have a 2005 2500 HD Chevy Duramax, will turn over but will not crank, truck has 139,000 miles on it. My truck been running good, about a month ago, changed the fuel filter. Getting it ready to town my Fifth wheel Rv, got everything ready to go, Truck been running great with no problems, I donít use the Truck much run it on the weekends, As my weekend truck, had some storm damage to my roof at home, and had to move it last weekend for the roofers, truck ran good cranked no problems, ran it all weekend and parked it by My camper, went yesterday to crank it and drive it and put it back In the garage it would not fire off, would turn over, and would not fire up. I been reading here in the forum, from fuel filter head to the cp3-cp4 pump. Have not taken the fuel filter off yet ,and try and new filter yet, see also read about air leaks from filter head. After trying to start I can prime the primer bulb, and maybe pump it 2-3 time max and bulb is hard, have not observed any fuel leaks?

So, now confused, on what direction to go in. Any directions will be wonderful!

All The Best
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
'Leaks' at the filter head, are air leaks as it sucks the fuel thru.
Sometimes you'll see some fuel, but not always.

After pumping the primer to firm, did you try again to fire it off?

How much fuel is in the tank?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Hookíem, yes tried to fire it back off still will not fire up, between 3/4 and 1/2 tank of fuel.
Would you go get a new filter and try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:10 PM

I would pressurize the tank with a small air blower or compressor. About 3 psi max, check for fuel leaks. If you see it dripping fuel anywhere, thatís where your air leak is. Does the primer get good and hard?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes the primer get hard!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Then the next thing to check is with a scanner, and see what your cranking rail pressure is.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

How much is it to buy a scanner?, had storm damage to roof, did not know had a high deductible trying to recoup from that and then roofer did not clean up got nails in car tires now the duramax not cranking!
So way in the poor house and trying to go with the cheapest options and then narrow it to the high dollar item that I hope it not!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

What should the cranking rail pressure be at what range?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM

I donít remember exactly but greater than 4 or 5 thousand psi.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I believe 1500 psi to start it and 5,000 psi idling.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode