Redneck tranny cooler upgrade? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Side questions.....What causes the overheating in an LLY?
The flawed turbo inlet duct (which you've upgraded) was restrictive and would cause excessive heat for the CAC to remove, which would overwhelm the heat load on the cooling stack as a whole, resulting in ECTs climbing....as the sensors didn't like the air flow density and would command more boost, as your power dropped off and you call for more throttle, which makes even more heat and....then you have head gasket failure and need an extra $5k to fix.

It's a progressive domino effect that grows and feeds on itself....all starting with a flawed air intake part that cost less than $100 to fix.

LBZ got the inlet duct fixed, a larger radiator, fan and the added engine mounted fan cage to enhance air flow.

As to your trans temps in stop/go, they all are capable of that. If you had a trailer on and had T/H engaged, it would run cooler, even though with a bigger load.
Also how you drive in traffic has an affect.

If you're constantly on/off the throttle/brake, gaining every immediate inch you can, over and over and over....that's heat.

Change your driving style in heavy traffic, utilizing what I call the Accordion, or squeeze box effect. Where you hang back a bit and manage the throttle, trying for a more steady speed as you let the 'rush & brake' 'accordion' action ahead of you do it's thing.

Perfect this^ method and you create a calming effect for all the traffic behind you in your lane....and this results in your overall movement progress exceeding all the other lanes as others swap lanes back and forth looking for the best lane.

Which doesn't exist.....except behind me. :

Large trucks do something similar, but they create too big of a gap and stall traffic behind them, creating more erratic lane changes around their being an obstacle.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
You be the judge of the trans cooler.
Stock and then mishimoto. You have a better radiator then a real LLY. Try cleaning that beast out and see what happens. Also, you should upgrade your fan clutch to the kodiak one. I have that and man 185-189 on brutal days is the highest I see...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B775861C-DB98-4447-9419-58353CABF727_1562545273254.jpg (29.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 3FD5BB18-A897-496E-A762-B7BF3B60CB98_1562545307053.jpg (25.2 KB, 71 views)

04.5 CHEVY 2500HD CC/SB LT-Green, 2" Leveling Kit, Bilsteins, Wicked Wheel 2, Boost Stick, 4" MBRP Turbo Back w/ 5" tip, LMM Resonator Box, Airdog LP, PCV reroute, Airbox Mod with AFE Filter, LBZ MP, Fleece Tapshifter, EGR Delete, Edge CTS2, Mishimoto Trans Cooler, EFI Live Tuned/ Idaho Rob,5% tint, 260K and still going strong,
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Haha! That cooler upgrade is insane!

Ah right. Now I remember reading about the perpetual heating from a flawed inlet.

As for the driving habits, I was in Winnipeg visiting during rush hour.....so it's basically a snails pace, with lights every 100 ft.
I usually drive pretty conservatively, and coast to red lights in hopes that it'll turn green before I have to stop. Drives other people nuts! Muwahahaha.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the cooler upgrade......truck budget permitting of course.

Cheers.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4–Charcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:54 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I was about to do the same thing , for I have a 2nd stock trans cooler also and just going to connected in line with the other one , my question would be what would it hurt if you did , nothing , improvement , possibility !!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownL36 View Post
My temps were like yours. I upgraded to the mishimoto trans cooler and they never seem to go over 130-135F now. Worth the investment and the piece of mind to me.
Would you send me any information on the that cooler you installed. I have a 2014 Duramax LML engine. I am definitely interested in installing it. Is the original cooler still on the truck. To help my truck with temps, I already added a much larger Mitsimota intercooler and a methanol injection system with an Edge tuner. Mostly did all this to lower my EGT but any load removed form the coolant system has to help more. The tuner is strictly for power.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
I was about to do the same thing , for I have a 2nd stock trans cooler also and just going to connected in line with the other one , my question would be what would it hurt if you did , nothing , improvement , possibility !!
How were you thinking of mounting yours?
I was thinking fab something up to mount them side by side with the fittings facing down.
Maybe I'll try it, and see if I notice a difference bombing around town. I'll know pretty quick if it goes the other way and doesn't cool! Haha.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4–Charcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownL36 View Post
You be the judge of the trans cooler.
Stock and then mishimoto. You have a better radiator then a real LLY. Try cleaning that beast out and see what happens. Also, you should upgrade your fan clutch to the kodiak one. I have that and man 185-189 on brutal days is the highest I see...
I'm curious if that much surface area all across the bottom half of the stack would cause any heating issues with the AC condenser / Intercooler / radiator. I'm about to do the trans / converter in my 2500 LLY and agree when it comes to trans coolers "If SOME is good then MORE is BETTER" . Just curious if this much was a airflow restriction that cascaded through the rest of the stack.

Mishimoto appears to be some REALLY nice equipment and I imagine the trans is the coolest fluid in the stack. Maybe not as big of a airflow restriction as it appears. I'm in the SW deserts and not really having a heat issue now, just looking to protect the $5k investment in a trans / converter build,,, but not at the detriment of other heat exchangers in the stack.

Anyone seen any ill effects of adding a monster trans oil cooler like this???

2004.5 Silverado CCSB LLY
Sinister EGR delete,
S&B air box and up-sized S&B intake mouthpiece,
CAT converter delete,
ATP 5 stage tune - Edge CST w/ EGT and backup camera,
5" AFE Power full exhaust kit
Airlift 5000# bags w/ on-board remote compressor

Just a nice CLEAN stock truck for towing the toys to the playground with a back seat full of grandkids
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Have not seriously looked at it yet I was just going to mount the second one right above the original and then upside down basically using the same mounting bolts and then it just use fleece performance lines to put in line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode