U0101 Lost Communication related to AC? No Crank/No Start. Sometimes. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
U0101 Lost Communication related to AC? No Crank/No Start. Sometimes.

2005 LLY 200,000 miles

Truck no start issue. U0101 Code

Was driving AC stopped, truck limited to 3rd gear, hard shift between P/N/R/D, ABS/Brake light on, no gear indicator.
Stopped truck. Wouldn't restart. No gear indicator. No AC blowing.

Sat for 10 minutes, restarted. Drove fine for days.

Sat for a day or so, went to drive it. Same thing. No gear indicator no blower motor.
Checked all connection on TCM, ECM, NSBU, and other random connections. Cleaned them all. Nothing

Walked out to it next morning. Touched NOTHING, started right up AC working fine. Turned it off, nothing. No start.

Next day, walked out to it and it started. Worked fine every time I tried that day. No issues.

Next day, drove the truck. Drove fine. AC was fine. Parked it at home. Had AC on "3" out of "5". Switched to "4" fine.. the MILLISECOND I switched to "5". Truck shit the bed.
AC stopped, truck limited to 3rd gear, hard shift between P/N/R/D, ABS/Brake light on, no gear indicator.

Swapped:

NSBU. Blower motor resistor/plug.

Seemed fixed. Drove it down road. Had AC on "5", no issues. Soon as I turned it to "4" it shit the bed again. Drove home parked it yesterday. Haven't touched it.

Only issue not fixed I found was possibly some wires on TCM harness with rub damage. Will be fixed after this "hurricane" goes away.

So: QUESTION

How are the AC / TCM connected? What grounds/wiring locations directly should I check? What else do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Many components of modern vehicles are connected by a 'LAN' system, where 'messages' or information are passed to other components, just like a LAN in your home. If the LAN goes down (fails to function correctly), other, seemingly unrelated, function fail to function correctly. In one of my favorite Youtube videos, a door handle containing electronics was the cause of an engine failing to even turn over. And that in basic terms is a U0101 code.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Many components of modern vehicles are connected by a 'LAN' system, where 'messages' or information are passed to other components, just like a LAN in your home. If the LAN goes down (fails to function correctly), other, seemingly unrelated, function fail to function correctly. In one of my favorite Youtube videos, a door handle containing electronics was the cause of an engine failing to even turn over. And that in basic terms is a U0101 code.
So, where should I start? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:07 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Fix those wires in the TCM and I bet it goes away.
ieetgluu likes this.

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, 48re swapped, ratchet shifter with pcs vb
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES GDP, EXERGY, ATS.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:15 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGorillaLML View Post
Fix those wires in the TCM and I bet it goes away.
That's my vote

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chad
04.5 4x4 ~160k miles
DE 4", 5100s, LBZ MP, S&B LBZ air, KoryWillis Go-go Juice, Insight CTS, ADII, 8' Fisher, Highroller Ultimate Idler Arm, Profab delete, XD RareParts tie rods

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that... :taunt
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Well, that didn't fix it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Video of the issue:

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

You may not believe this, but being able to trigger the failure pretty much on demand is a GOOD THING. When you can't get the malfunction to happen, it's a REAL head scratcher. If YOU are going to attempt to fix this, go to GMUPFITTER.COM and get the electrical manual in the body builder manual tab for your truck, find the a/c controls and see what you can find for air conditioning. There will be a lot. My manual not only has the diesel truck info, but gas truck also, so watch what pages you are looking at. The find function works very well, so use it. It could be that the problem is something as simple as a ground for the HVAC fan that has too much resistance to carry the intended load, or a problem within the LAN. LAN problems can be hard to pin down, so you may have to find other devices on the same circuit as your a/c controls, detach them, re-test to see if the problem has gone away, repeat with another different module, repeat with another different module, repeat with another different module, etc until you find the problem module. Personally, I would start with everything in the truck turned OFF, particularly anything aftermarket like engine monitors, radios, anything plugged into the cig lighter, radar detector, etc, doors closed, toggle your a/c control to create the problem, and go from there. It could be a combination of things, like radio on plus fan on.

See below from my truck's info about LAN communication:.

GMLAN LOW-SPEED CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Data Link Connector (DLC) allows a scan tool to communicate with the low speed GMLAN serial data circuit. The serial data is transmitted
over a single wire to the appropriate control modules. Under normal vehicle operating conditions, the speed of the buss is 33.33 Kb/s. This
protocol produces a simple pulse train sent out over the GMLAN low speed serial data bus. When a module pulls the buss high, 5 volts, this
creates a logic state of 0 on the buss. When the buss is pulled low, 0 volts, it is translated as a logic state of 1. To wake the control modules
connected to the GMLAN low speed serial data buss, a wake up signal is sent out over the buss. Modules connected to the GMLAN low speed
buss can be part of a virtual network as described in GMLAN High Speed Circuit Description above. The modules on the GMLAN low speed
serial data buss are connected to the buss using several splice or "star" connectors separating groups of modules. The following list states the
splices and modules connected to the low speed serial data circuits:
I/P Splice
Data Link Connector (DLC), connected only to the Instrument Panel (I/P) splice.
Amplifier (Amp)
Rear Seat Audio (RSA) .
Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)
Digital Radio Receiver (DRR)
Inside Rearview Mirror Module (ISRVM), connected through the mid I/P fuse block
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
Body Control Module (BCM)
Theft Deterrent Module (TDM)
Heater Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Radio
Driver Door Switch (DDS), connected through the left I/P fuse block
Passenger Door Switch (PDS), connected through the right I/P fuse block

Body Splice
Articulating Running Board Module (ARBM)
Ultrasonic Park Assist (UPA)
Memory Seat Module (MSM)
Liftgate Module (LGM)
Passenger Presence System (PPS)
Inflatable restraint vehicle Rollover Sensor (ROS)
Inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)
Serial Data Reference
The scan tool communicates over the various busses on the vehicle. When a scan tool is installed on a vehicle, the scan tool will try to
communicate with every module that could be optioned into the vehicle. If an option is not installed on the vehicle, the scan tool will display No
COMM for that options specific control module.
In order to avert misdiagnoses of No Communication with a specific module, refer to Data Link References for a list of modules, the busses
they communicate with, and the Regular Production Option (RPO) codes for a specific module.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
You may not believe this, but being able to trigger the failure pretty much on demand is a GOOD THING. When you can't get the malfunction to happen, it's a good thing.
I agree. Definitely a good thing.

I currently have EVERYTHING in the cab unplugged.

Blower motor. Radio. Etc..etc...

Plugged AC controls in. Started truck. Turned AC on/off. No issues. With blower motor plugged in, it freaked out.

Going to replace it. I replaced the blower motor resistor and wiring last week due to intermittent blowing on click 5/4. Motor might be issue as well.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I'm officially lost.

It's somehow 100% related to changing AC fan speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode