What and where to get head gaskets and studs - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

What and where to get head gaskets and studs

Well looks like it's time for head gaskets and studs for me... Where is the best (and best price) place to get gaskets and studs? I've always ran ARP but see there is a company by the name of Engine Power selling stud kits for about half the price, any info in them? Also what is the go to gasket as far as brand/type, truck is pretty much stock with 208K and may end up with a mild turbo when this one goes. Everything I read says to with "C" gaskets but then I see a few post about needing to pull and identify if "A" or "B" gaskets are needed. I would dig in a little more but this is sort of a ASAP thing and and very thankful for any help!

Thanks!

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:27 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Henry at creatures of the night performance has really good prices on head studs and gasket kits. I use victor reinz gaskets or could go with lml golds they have been holding up pretty well in some builds. Stick with arp. You get what you pay for 10 fold in this industry. The letter has to do with the thickness of the gaskets and If you take alot off the head you may need different gaskets to keep the piston to valve clearance correct, lowered compression etc. Most sell grade c with their kits. Stick with grade C. Some trucks have had a B on the left side and A on the right from the factory who knows what their doing lol..

My name is Nic
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD,

Last edited by SilverGorillaLML; 07-15-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Lincoln Diesel Specialties as well

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.

Chad
04.5 4x4 ~160k miles
DE 4", 5100s, LBZ MP, S&B LBZ air, KoryWillis Go-go Juice, Insight CTS, ADII, 8' Fisher, Highroller Ultimate Idler Arm, Profab delete, XD RareParts tie rods

Dirtymax this, Dirtymax that... :taunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGorillaLML View Post
Henry at creatures of the night performance has really good prices on head studs and gasket kits. I use victor reinz gaskets or could go with lml golds they have been holding up pretty well in some builds. Stick with arp. You get what you pay for 10 fold in this industry. The letter has to do with the thickness of the gaskets and If you take alot off the head you may need different gaskets to keep the piston to valve clearance correct, lowered compression etc. Most sell grade c with their kits. Stick with grade C. Some trucks have had a B on the left side and A on the right from the factory who knows what their doing lol..
i was told that the 3 grades of gaskets were to dial in compression differences between the left and right bank on the block. so if the left bank was a little lower on compression than the right, they would insert the A gasket on the left, and a B or C gasket on the right to even out the engine. That could all be wrong, as that seems like a LOT of additional work for a pretty trivial change in compression, but it does kind of make sense.

Personally i would go with C grade gaskets on both sides and call it a day. I believe that is also how most if not all of the kits ive seen come.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:39 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Well I know the grades are different thickness so that would explain why some trucks have had different grades on each side.

My name is Nic
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

So did a little more digging in on this one, the reason for the difference grades in gaskets is to account for tooling wear. This is very common overseas (remember where this engine originated and a lot of blocks are still built) and is not sloppy by any means and is actually more precise than what we do here. Dirt bike guys might be able to correlate "A", "B", and "C" engines such as the Honda 2-strokes.

Studs, did a lot on these guys also... Most of the other than ARP are Asian and are cut threads for sure and not rolled, some are from Mexico but all in all I would not run them unless someone with some good technical info cares to share. ARP never references 'rolled threads' but you can tell by the threads. For more info look up the episode of "How it's Made" and Caterpillar bolts it's actually very interesting. Myself, been working on, with, and for heavy equipment and mining machines, client's, dealers, and manufactures for 20+ years so I know my way around pretty good just never HG's on a Duramax.

So far it seems Amazon has the best run shipped to the door for the full kit, willing to look elsewhere as I'd like to support some of our vendors!

Thanks again for all the help and I'll keep any good info I figure out on this one posted up.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 AM
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrautoworks View Post
So did a little more digging in on this one, the reason for the difference grades in gaskets is to account for tooling wear. This is very common overseas (remember where this engine originated and a lot of blocks are still built) and is not sloppy by any means and is actually more precise than what we do here. Dirt bike guys might be able to correlate "A", "B", and "C" engines such as the Honda 2-strokes.

Studs, did a lot on these guys also... Most of the other than ARP are Asian and are cut threads for sure and not rolled, some are from Mexico but all in all I would not run them unless someone with some good technical info cares to share. ARP never references 'rolled threads' but you can tell by the threads. For more info look up the episode of "How it's Made" and Caterpillar bolts it's actually very interesting. Myself, been working on, with, and for heavy equipment and mining machines, client's, dealers, and manufactures for 20+ years so I know my way around pretty good just never HG's on a Duramax.

So far it seems Amazon has the best run shipped to the door for the full kit, willing to look elsewhere as I'd like to support some of our vendors!

Thanks again for all the help and I'll keep any good info I figure out on this one posted up.

We will beat Amazon price on a complete HG kit, we have everything in stock and when you have questions throughout the job you can call us for assistance. Let me know if I can help.

https://lincolndieselspecialties.com...asket-kit.html

Looking for LB7 Injectors?
Check these prices out!

......... Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Phone: 920-361-7700

Click here For,
LB7 Injector Install Instructions
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We will beat Amazon price on a complete HG kit, we have everything in stock and when you have questions throughout the job you can call us for assistance. Let me know if I can help.

https://lincolndieselspecialties.com...asket-kit.html
Sold sir! Thanks and will order this weekend, have to see what else I might need as I only want to be in there once...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:10 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I cant even get the master gasket kit on amazon as it doesnt ship to canada. No idea why. Stealership wants 1400 for the kit plus another 120 per head gasket.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Have you tried lsd, merchant, creatures of the night, or dhd?

My name is Nic
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode