Is WOT generally required when towing? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By JimmyD
  • 2 Post By MarvDmax04.5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Is WOT generally required when towing?

I sent my whole set of injectors in for cleaning and testing, and a few of them failed at WOT test. Not sure what that means in terms of fuel delivery, or how it will affect towing. Truck runs great. No smoke. Etc etc.

I have a trip coming up next week, and I'll be towing a 7500 lb camper through the Canadian Rockies, with a couple good pulls. Will I be ok? Lol

Any need to go WOT? Or just kinda hang back in the slow lane if need be?

Do you ever go full cowboy when towing? Case by case basis?

I also have my pick of EFI Live enhanced stock/30hp/60hp tow. And an edge CTS with egt probe. So I'll be monitoring.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

"Stinky Pig"
2003 Sierra 2500 Crew 4x4–Charcoal Grey Metallic
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
EFI Live (E. Stock/30HP/60HP Tow/high idle/No start)
Edge CTS2 with EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My camper weighs more than double of what yours weighs.

Although I have never towed my camper through the Rockies, I have towed it through the mountains of TN, NC and WV.

Never, ever, ever, did I need to go WOT when going up a mountain. The truck will let you know the appropriate amount of throttle to give it. For me, going up the hills, I never put the truck over 2500 RPM. If the temps start to creep up a bit, just reduce the throttle. My truck seems to like that speed when towing the camper up the hills.

In doing this, you will be in the slow lane as others pass you. Just do the slow lane knowing that you are doing the right thing for your truck while safely towing.

The DM Ally combo is a wonderful thing, just don't abuse it and you will get many miles of safe/happy towing.
407driver and Sierraluva like this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:32 PM

If you were running in cruise it might have gone WOT & you might not know it. But if you weren't in cruise forget the last sentence.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live from LDS, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:26 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxysAssault View Post
I sent my whole set of injectors in for cleaning and testing, and a few of them failed at WOT test. Not sure what that means in terms of fuel delivery, or how it will affect towing. Truck runs great. No smoke. Etc etc.

I have a trip coming up next week, and I'll be towing a 7500 lb camper through the Canadian Rockies, with a couple good pulls. Will I be ok? Lol

Any need to go WOT? Or just kinda hang back in the slow lane if need be?

Do you ever go full cowboy when towing? Case by case basis?

I also have my pick of EFI Live enhanced stock/30hp/60hp tow. And an edge CTS with egt probe. So I'll be monitoring.

Thanks in advance.

I've pulled at WOT in the mountains out west. Can't remember exactly where but I recall trying to maintain 75 mph up a steep but straight incline and the truck started to lose some speed; this is at a GCW of between 19k and 20k. If the engine is on a stock tune there's no reason to be shy about WOT (assuming it's been well maintained and there are no known heat dissipation issues); it's designed to run at maximum engine power for significant periods of time (the SAE uses different standards for eating maximum HP depending on vehicle weight class, so an L5P can sustain 445 for a longer duration without overheating than similarly-rated sports car engine), certainly enough time to ascend long grades in the Rockies.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 PM

I've had my LLY for almost 3 years now and have NEVER been at full throttle. First I don't trust the 5speed trans to survive what the motor will put out, and if it were to downshift at WOT,, I fear I'd be looking at tow bill in my future.

Besides, My M.O. is to drive by EGT. My probe is in the rear passengers side exhaust manifold and monitor it on a EDGE CTS. I see the EGT climb on hills at even 3/4 throttle. I use 1250° as a MAX EGT and try to keep it UNDER 1150°. The pistons and heads are thermally protected by oil and engine coolant, but just keep in mind aluminum melts at 1221° F. The heads and pistons are obviously alloyed to make them survive well above that temp. BUT,, My thoughts is if the aluminum component of the material is even SLIGHTLY compromised by 1250°,, I don't want my EGT EVER going there!!!

I don't have a problem slowing down and hugging the right lane,, pulling over to let traffic by when I'm towing grades. I guess my grandfather finally wore off on me "If you need to push the truck that hard you should have left earlier"
Sierraluva and DaveLLY like this.

2004.5 Silverado CCSB LLY
Sinister EGR delete,
S&B air box and up-sized S&B intake mouthpiece,
CAT converter delete,
ATP 5 stage tune - Edge CST w/ EGT and backup camera,
5" AFE Power full exhaust kit
Airlift 5000# bags w/ on-board remote compressor

Just a nice CLEAN stock truck for towing the toys to the playground with a back seat full of grandkids
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to write such detailed replies.
This is all music to my ears. So basically just don't be an ass.

Guess it's a good test run.

Cheers

"Stinky Pig"
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
Edge CTS2 with EGT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:28 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

There are a couple things that will help you towing in the hills

1 change the Turbo Intake pipe to an LBZ intake. The LLY was a defective design that unnecessarily restricts the air flow.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...-your-lly.html

2. A Turbo Brake, either in a tune or activated yourself. Either will allow you to use the TB and Cruse Control together downhill to maintain whatever speed you desire. It is MAGIC and puts a smile on your face knowing the truck is working as it should.

Here is a How To for the manual add. It is written about an LMM but the same works on the LLY:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...lmm-works.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
There are a couple things that will help you towing in the hills

1 change the Turbo Intake pipe to an LBZ intake. The LLY was a defective design that unnecessarily restricts the air flow.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...-your-lly.html

2. A Turbo Brake, either in a tune or activated yourself. Either will allow you to use the TB and Cruse Control together downhill to maintain whatever speed you desire. It is MAGIC and puts a smile on your face knowing the truck is working as it should.

Here is a How To for the manual add. It is written about an LMM but the same works on the LLY:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...lmm-works.html
Yup. Already have a full LBZ intake including MP, as well as turbo braking added with EFI Live.
I've used it going down some hills unloaded, and it's pretty wild. No need to touch the brakes haha.

I also replaced the factory pancake downpipe with a Flo-Pro.

Should be good to just drive it and let it do its thing.

"Stinky Pig"
325k kms and counting
LLY Head swap
LBZ full intake w/MP
Flo-Pro Downpipe
4" Straight pipe
EGR delete
PCV Re-route
Edge CTS2 with EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode