LLY mouth piece???? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

LLY mouth piece????

I've seen the threads for the new retro fit but, my qustion is: Will it work with an aftermarket air filter kit ( I have the K&N) and where do I get the new mouth piece?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM

This is what I have done...............

Fill out your sig line with truck info. Drop Killerbee a PM with info and questions. He wil send an invoice to your email addr(which he needs). Pay for it and he will get shipped.

04.5 LLY 2500 D-Max Crew 4 x 4
PPE Economy Programmer on 45HP Tune
AEM Brute Force Intake
Killerbee modified mouthpiece
285s on stock rims w/no fender mods
Stanadyne Perf Fuel Additive
post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM

I have a AFE Stage 2 intake on my truck. I pulled the Mouth Peace off of my truck and ported it myself. It is very easy. Just remove it and port it. It took me about 30 min to remove port and reinstall.

John
05 4 door short bed 4x4 chevy LLY
EFI LIVE with McRat RACE tune, PPE Lift Pump, 4inch Turbo Back Strait Piped MBRP Duals, EGR block off, AFE stage 2 intake, Turbo resonator blocked off, 6000k HID kit, 305/75/16Super Swampers on stock rims, Auto Meter boost and pyro gauges, Killer sound system, Limo tint all the way around, Suncoast Stage IV built by me.

NO TALKING JUST LINE IT UP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

It takes me longer, with 4 different 20,000 rpm long reach tooling bits. About $500 worth of tools without the compressor, though it can be done cheaper. There is a lot more that can be done to it. For example, round the internal junctions where the PCV and resonator join up. Very hard to get to, these are areas with boundary induced turbulence that help reduce that pressure drop.

When it is done, the entire internal has been machined. The inlet area can be machined a lot, especially on the bottom. You can get another 1/8", and reduce the rate of taper.

Michael
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I finally completed the milling procedure on the stock LLY mouthpiece yesterday. What a PAIN in the Ar$e, 3+ hours but, It looks great with nice tapered smooth flowing curves. I've worked with steel pieces that were softer than this stuff, amazing.

I was only running 16k rpms but the rotary tool I used was very short, which enabled access from many different ports and angles. I was able to remove a considerable amount of material and found several other areas that needed the ‘Porting’ done also.
Before:

After:

I have already noticed a considerable change in throttle response this morning, but only a light load of 9.5k lbs total hooked on. My larger load scheduled to test today has been delayed, waiting for money drafts on the other end.

Tomorrow, I’ll discover the true improvements while hauling heavy.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Smile

Had to share an after-Mod incident...pulled up beside a Charger R/T Hemi being test drove this morning from the used car lot I had just passed a ways back. Green light and he punches it as I just keep up without pouring it on...I know the light cycles and the next one will change, so I back off.

Leaving the next light, he punches it and I keep my bumper 5 feet ahead of his, he sees I'm inching ahead so he dumps it WOT, grabbing a lower gear as I notice the up/down motion of his front bumper.

Too late of course, for now the Allison’s caught 3rd and the turbo is fully cranked, on into 4th and this 4-ton truck is just running away from it, slingshots into 5th and seals his fate by over 5 car lengths. This turbo and fuel flow action is now very different from before.

I’m still giggling…wondering if he made the 'Hemi' Sale!

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 10-15-2008 at 10:44 AM.
post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

That's a great story. I don't run mine often but the other day a new mustant gt got on my butt. The next light I made to where he and I would be there togther. To my suprise it was a fat ass redneck with his wife and a salesman. So I jump a little on the red light and get his attention. He looks up and just laughs. So needless to say when the light went to green all he saw was the ass end of my Dmax leaving him aways back. Laugh at me will ya,... who's laughing now..bitch.
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Where is this piece on the motor? Can somebody like me tackle this little under taking. I did install my egt probe myself that was easy. I would like to do this mode to help with the temps under the hood. Does anyone have pics of the part on the motor so I know what I am looking for. I think I see the right part but it looks like it is a pain to get off. Any tips... Thanks in advance, this site is great!!!
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordly View Post
Where is this piece on the motor? Can somebody like me tackle this little under taking. I did install my egt probe myself that was easy. I would like to do this mode to help with the temps under the hood. Does anyone have pics of the part on the motor so I know what I am looking for. I think I see the right part but it looks like it is a pain to get off. Any tips... Thanks in advance, this site is great!!!
The only pain is breaking loose the PCV inlet hose while holding the hose clamp loose, I used a pry bar. Other than that, easy stuff.

Hard to see, using a 5/16” socket, loosen the hose clamp at the Air box, and loosen the hose clamp at the other end of the intake tube, and then remove from the Mouthpiece.

Remove the turbo resonator (black plastic displaying 6.6) from the Mouthpiece using a T-30 torx and loosening one more hose clamp.

Remove the PCV inlet line (see picture with resonator plug installed in mouthpiece inlet),

and finally, loosen the last large hose clamp at the turbo to remove the mouthpiece, seen just below the G A R of Garret in the pic.

When replacing the mouthpiece, it helps to have another set of hands to help position the mouthpiece and hose clamp while tightening. Go ahead and move it from the 12 o'clock position over to 9 o'clock to make it easier. Also, reposition the spring clamp for the PCV 180 degrees (facing forward) to make it easier.

Review:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...c-reroute.html

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 07-31-2008 at 11:45 PM.
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Can it get any worse conditons than this?

I put the ported mouthpiece to the test yesterday.

Total GCW was 33.83k lbs,
distance one-way was 215 miles,
ran at the hottest part of the day,
2-6pm at 100+ degrees over moderately hilly terrain at 68-72 mph.

The Engine temperature stayed at one mark below 210, and never varied. The Allison stayed one mark above 200, constant.

While there was significant fan activity, gauges showed moderate action the whole way and the D-Max never lost any power, as it could have run faster…kept it down though, worrying about overheated tires possibly blowing. Proven, this mod definitely works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode