Stiff steering - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Stiff steering

So I have a 04.5 just replaced my steering gear box with a read head steering gear box tightened up the front end real good but for some reason at all speeds the steering is extremely stiff from left to right, I’ve already done a flush and made sure there’s no air in the system and my mechanic says my power steering pump is good to go, the weird thing is with my OEM box the left and right steering was fine then all of a sudden it’s stiff as all hell, also some times at hard turns it makes a kind of whining noise...... last thing is in park the steering wheel turn to the right ok ish but is still hard but when I turn it left it locks up and makes that whining noise. If anyone could help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:56 PM

Seems like the box is adjusted to tight. I would call redhead and get there opinion and possible replacement.

2005 Silverado 2500, Crew Cab Short Bed. 122,000 miles
MODS: AFE intake, LBZ mouth piece, MBRP cat- less exhaust.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDmax View Post
Seems like the box is adjusted to tight. I would call redhead and get there opinion and possible replacement.
^^^ that, there customer service is great from the couple of times ive called them. there is an adjustment screw on the gear box that takes VERY small adjustment, were talking 1/16 turns here. They may have you adjust that and it will likely correct your issue. Do not start messing with that screw without talking to them though, it can cause rapid failure of the steering gear if you set it wrong.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Iím having the same problem only I didnít use a redhead steering box. I went OEM. When on the jack the steering was fine but after putting tires on ground and doing test drive the steering to right is fine but takes all I can to turn left. Mine is making whining noise as well when pushing brake pedal
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

look at this post. It may be of use if you did not bleed the steering box correctly:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...l#post12142973

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode