Choosing between two- lift pump or delete - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Oops, yes you need an egr blocker plate and "finger stick" to make the smog equipment happy, for about $55 (Kennedy Diesel), especially for a non-FE9 LLY. Lift pump and auxiliary filtering and water separation still highly recommended for worry-free traveling!

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake111 View Post
Oops, yes you need an egr blocker plate and "finger stick" to make the smog equipment happy, for about $55 (Kennedy Diesel), especially for a non-FE9 LLY. Lift pump and auxiliary filtering and water separation still highly recommended for worry-free traveling!
What setup do you have? And what do you mean by worry free?

2004 LLY Duramax.
Silverado Crew Cab LT
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:56 PM

(My opinions only, of course.) The OEM filter setup is sufficient as long as nothing out of the ordinary happens, but it is somewhat limited in size. People have gotten a bad load of diesel (sadly, likely with some mud) and clogged up the stock filter. If you are traveling, at least carry a spare filter and a filter wrench, and know how to change it. And, I like the Racor coalescing filter because it reportedly does the best job of water separation.

To improve your chances of getting through such an event, I like the idea of a large filter (e.g., CAT 1R-0749 or Donaldson P553207, there are many others). I added a Nicktane auxiliary filter head down near the fuel tank over 12 years ago and ran the CAT filter. The CAT filter doesn't do water separation (or doesn't do it well), so years ago I switched to the Donaldson along with the optional glass bowl that screws onto the bottom. That way, if a problem occurs, I just at least look at the bowl for water and mud.

Our trucks are old. They suck fuel from the tank, through the OEM filter (and maybe an aux filter), and have several sections of soft lines. Eventually, those soft lines will leak (air in, probably not fuel out). For more confidence, a lift pump puts a little pressure in the lines so a developing leak should (1) smell, and (2) show where it is by the wet spot. I installed a Kennedy Diesel single pump a few years ago.

I guess there's not really such a thing as "worry free", but it sure provides a lot more confidence.
KaliMax likes this.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
I have 347k miles without a lift pump as well, which is why I should install a lift pump.

A lift pump helps prevent wearing out components of the system - components previously mentioned here. They began putting it on the newer generation of DMax because it is a well known fact that the CP3 is happier that way. This is even more true to those that tow generous loads or those that like to sprint from standstill with any type of spirited haste.

Is it a requirement to drive and last? No. These trucks WILL last. If you put them through the ringer, you will want a lift pump. even moreso than an EGR delete. That should be done as well, as it is a BS system that needs to be completely ripped out as opposed to just blocked off - given the budget allows.

Terry
USMC 2001-2016
2002 CCSB 2500HD

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/447132.png
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryRH View Post
... because it is a well known fact that the CP3 is happier that way.
Thats not a fact.... not even close.

The CP3 is just fine pulling fuel from the tank. If the hoses need replacing or the filter head needs a o ring kit, thats chump change when compared to a lift pump install.

Do the blocker plate, finger stick if you have to... get a cheapo PPE hand held tuner and set it on 90hp .... and drive the thing.

Spend the money you saved on servicing the tranny and a pump rub fix kit, because those are your two biggest worries and not the CP3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Maf | First mods »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode