Rust repair on roof of cab - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Rust repair on roof of cab

I just bought this truck last week and I need it to last me a while. It has some pretty significant rust on the roof of the cab and I was wondering if anyone has any experience repairing something like this? The truck has 220k miles so I don't want to pay for a full paint job, I was hoping maybe I could patch it up myself if possible.

Last edited by DAH7; 09-30-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

id wire wheel it down to bare metal, fill the pitting with glazing compound, sand it smooth to the touch, then hit it with some automotive primer, then paint in rattle can form. Should give you a 10 foot or less finish and really thats all you need on a roof. Depending on how bad that rust is though, you may find yourself having to weld in new metal, hopefully its not too deep. Make sure to remove paint for several inches around the visible rust to make sure you dont leave any under the paint to bubble up later.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info man, im a bit nervous about trying to do this, but i'm sure it would be pricey to have it done by a body shop. I think my first step will be sanding it all down and seeing how bad it is. Since I am in Phoenix and don't see a lot of moisture, I am hoping a rattle can job will hold me over for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
id wire wheel it down to bare metal, fill the pitting with glazing compound, sand it smooth to the touch, then hit it with some automotive primer, then paint in rattle can form. Should give you a 10 foot or less finish and really thats all you need on a roof. Depending on how bad that rust is though, you may find yourself having to weld in new metal, hopefully its not too deep. Make sure to remove paint for several inches around the visible rust to make sure you dont leave any under the paint to bubble up later.

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

221,000 miles, all original, bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH7 View Post
Thanks for the info man, im a bit nervous about trying to do this, but i'm sure it would be pricey to have it done by a body shop. I think my first step will be sanding it all down and seeing how bad it is. Since I am in Phoenix and don't see a lot of moisture, I am hoping a rattle can job will hold me over for a few years.
glazing compound is just a thin 1 part body filler that you apply with a plastic scraper to fill the small voids left by the rust pitting after sanding. This will go a long way to make the paint look better and i would not skip it. Its really not a very complicated process. strip to bare metal, clean with solvent (i like acetone or denatured alcohol) then apply, let dry, and sand smooth. Then rattle can some etching primer, rattle can some white, rattle can some clear, walk away and get a beer. Its basically what your already planning to do with 1 extra step in the middle. Failure to use the glazing compound or something similar to fill the rust pitting will make the roof look bumpy like the texture of a cast iron pan.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I was going to recommend the same procedure only with Spot Putty. It turns out it is the same as Glazing Compound.

Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, 00907ES, 4.5 oz, 1 Tube

Should be at any auto parts house

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode