My first Dmax - 2006 LBY build/maintenance thread - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

My first Dmax - 2006 LBY build/maintenance thread

I finally made the switch from my trusty 2 door 96 Ford 7.3. I just bought an early 2006 LBY with 221k miles on it. My wife is pregnant with twins and my goal is to build this truck as safe and reliable as possible. I will be using the truck to tow our toy hauler which is about 9-10k lbs when fully loaded with toys. We usually take a handful of long trips around 500 miles per year.

After driving for a week, I noticed the power steering was very stiff and brakes were very squishy. I went ahead and flushed the power steering fluid and the steering definitely improved a bit, although not as great as i'd expected. The brake fluid was bad, so I pumped new fluid through the system and bled the system. Brakes improved a ton after this.

I got a low coolant warning this morning on my way to work, so I think the next item on my list is a coolant flush.

I'd like to start ticking off general maintenance items that will help increase reliability and longevity. I'd love to get your guys opinions on building out a list of things to prioritize. I am also open to mods that will increase reliability and longevity as well. Maybe even a monitor or gauges if necessary?

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

221,000 miles, all original, bone stock for now.

Last edited by DAH7; 10-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:17 PM
HWI

I would change the front and rear differential, transmission, and transfer case fluid. A lot of people never change them, so you could be on 221k mile old diff fluid. I'd also do the pump rub fix, so your transfer case doesn't leave you on the side of the road.
BOWTIE67 and bam5128 like this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:53 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Congrats on the babies and the truck

Joe
2008 CCLB LMM
13.39 @ 99.44 W/ 1.76 60’
456 HP 925 TQ

2003 RCLB LB7 “UNDER CONSTRUCTION”
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
Congrats on the babies and the truck
Thanks man, we are both excited and terrified about having twins. Kinda feeling the same about a new truck that I don't know much about haha But having this community to lean on for insight provides some comfort.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking about doing a coolant flush and also trying to clean the cooling stack. Its pretty dirty and it gets pretty hot here in Phoenix. Sounds like most people are just cleaning these while they are still on the truck? Maybe removing the grill and using a combination of compressor air, simple green and a garden hose?

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Works awesome.....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks AlisoBob, Is it worth removing the cooling stack from the truck to clean, or is it effective enough to do this without disassembling too much? I have tried using the search function but there doesn't seem to be a ton of good info on cleaning this... or coolant flushes in general. Maybe I create a little write up when I do these, unless they already exist. I am new to the forum so I may not be using the search function to the best of its ability yet haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post

Works awesome.....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:24 PM

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...l-install.html

With 200k + miles, you should pull it and do it right.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Eureka!!! Thanks so much man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLLover View Post
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...l-install.html

With 200k + miles, you should pull it and do it right.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH7 View Post
Thanks man, we are both excited and terrified about having twins. Kinda feeling the same about a new truck that I don't know much about haha But having this community to lean on for insight provides some comfort.
Yes, congrats on the upcoming twins and the truck!

We've got a bit in common. 3 1/2 years ago I bought our 2006 LLZ/LBY with 245k miles (tow a 10k travel trailer) and 18 years ago this Monday my wife and I had twin boys

It sounds like you're on the right track and getting the maintenance items figured out.

By far the biggest bang-for-the-buck mod that I've done on the truck was the turbo brake:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...rbo-brake.html

When are the twins due?

Jeff

2006 GMC 2500 SLT LLY CCSB 4x4 - Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode