Fan noise only in reverse - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By clemet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Fan noise only in reverse

So I will try to explain this as best I can. About 2 weeks ago I got home and heard a bad idler pulley and after I replaced it I was getting a really strange noise almost sounding like the fan hitting the shroud/guard, but it stopped almost right away and didn't come back until yesterday. I was backing my trailer in and when I use any power over idle it is making this loud shrieking sound. I crawled under and noticed the motor mounts where trashed so I swapped them out yesterday with rubber ones from the local parts house. The passenger side one was completely trashed, and the driver side I was able to finish pulling apart by hand. After I was done I checked it and it is still making the same noise. I have checked that the shroud is bolted down tight. I cannot make it make the noise in anything other than reverse, and only if the engine is off idle.

Here is a link to a video with the noise.

I am just sitting here scratching my head as to what else I need to check since it is only in reverse unless I received a bad mount and need to swap out the driver side again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191113_125554.jpg (82.1 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I found the issue to be the bolt around the fan surround under the air cleaner was missing. All is fixed now.
mray likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 PM

Thanks for closing the loop on this. It was classic symptom of motor mounts.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode