Transfer case making noise no oil - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Transfer case making noise no oil

Hi guys My name is Tom . I am a retired GM worke. l hope u can help me. I live in Michigan and just drove to fort Myers in my truck.
My truck specs are ,
2006 chevy Sliverado duramax HD2500 6.6 turbo . Mileage 126,000. Truck has been used for towing a 36 ft trailer when I bough5 it last year. I REALY donít two much and I have only put on maybe 3,000 . Miles in the last year.
I thought I had bad u joints on the way to Florida last week. After getting here she starting making more noise. Took it to my buddies and he pulled the the transfer case out . The model number is of case is 263XHD. There was zero oil in it. There are no holes in the case . We opening it up tonight to see metal shaving in the bearings and a little slug in it but other wise that was it.
Any suggestions on where to get it rebuilt round fort Myers. I just started reading about it . I read that there are pump upgrade kits for it but is there anything else I need to know as upgrades as I prefer to get one with the upgrades done to it. I saw guys replace the bearing with metal races as these have plastic ones. Please advise my with any help you can I be grateful.

My buddy a mechanic is that something that we can do?
Thx Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:07 AM

That is the typical pump rub problem. There may not be a hole, but probably is. Also the heat from rubbing will eventually vaporize all the fluid. Itís typically a very small pin hole that may not show any signs of leakage. Thatís the way mine was.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mike ,
I did not see a hole but was looking for a big one. Trying to decide if I should buy a rebuild kit and try it my self r just bite it and buy another one. If there was a complete rebuild video that might sway me . Itís amazing she made it to Florida. Hoping for more suggestions here to help me deside. I am a retired designer engineer I can take it apart Clean and replace pArts but that it. If anything needs tweaking or adjusting I have to figure it out. Thx for the info on your mike what did you do to fix it rebuild yourself or buy another ? Thx Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:40 AM

It was at about 70,000 mile and still under extended warranty. Replaced with an updated case by GM dealer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

If I do buy a rebuilt one who can I buy it from that will have upgrades done to it.
By upgrades I mean the oil pump and bearing with metal races and so on? Anyone know please link me .

FYI I am in Florida right now . Thx all
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmen View Post
Hi Mike ,
I did not see a hole but was looking for a big one. Trying to decide if I should buy a rebuild kit and try it my self r just bite it and buy another one. If there was a complete rebuild video that might sway me . Itís amazing she made it to Florida. Hoping for more suggestions here to help me deside. I am a retired designer engineer I can take it apart Clean and replace pArts but that it. If anything needs tweaking or adjusting I have to figure it out. Thx for the info on your mike what did you do to fix it rebuild yourself or buy another ? Thx Tom
The transfer cases for those models were really bad for case wear. There are plenty of videos about this on Youtube. Considering what you most likely will find I would suggest just buying a rebuilt case that has the improvements for rubbing issue. I think you would be saving money in the overall picture. Dean
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
If I do buy a rebuilt one who can I buy it from that will have upgrades done to it.
By upgrades I mean the oil pump and bearing with metal races and so on? Anyone know please link me .

https://www.xtremediesel.com/merchan...-transfer-case

This is just an example of one that has all the upgrades you would need. I'm sure there are others out there. Dean
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 12:18 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:

Kodiaktruck.com. ask for Mark he is the owner and knows his shit.
https://kodiaktruck.com/

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 PM

I swapped one out of my dads truck a few years ago after he drove at least 1400 miles with no oil. I was shocked that it made it home but it did. The hole is so tiny that you really wont find it without filling the case again and driving it a mile or two and then getting under the truck to find the drip.

2007 3500HD CCLB DRW 4WD classic
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:29 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

The rear halfs are made out of magnesium, the updated back halfs are aluminum. Magnesium is alot softer metal then aluminum

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode