Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Transfer case making noise no oil

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ackley 
#1 ·
Hi guys My name is Tom . I am a retired GM worke. l hope u can help me. I live in Michigan and just drove to fort Myers in my truck.
My truck specs are ,
2006 chevy Sliverado duramax HD2500 6.6 turbo . Mileage 126,000. Truck has been used for towing a 36 ft trailer when I bough5 it last year. I REALY don’t two much and I have only put on maybe 3,000 . Miles in the last year.
I thought I had bad u joints on the way to Florida last week. After getting here she starting making more noise. Took it to my buddies and he pulled the the transfer case out . The model number is of case is 263XHD. There was zero oil in it. There are no holes in the case . We opening it up tonight to see metal shaving in the bearings and a little slug in it but other wise that was it.
Any suggestions on where to get it rebuilt round fort Myers. I just started reading about it . I read that there are pump upgrade kits for it but is there anything else I need to know as upgrades as I prefer to get one with the upgrades done to it. I saw guys replace the bearing with metal races as these have plastic ones. Please advise my with any help you can I be grateful.

My buddy a mechanic is that something that we can do?
Thx Tom

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Mike ,
I did not see a hole but was looking for a big one. Trying to decide if I should buy a rebuild kit and try it my self r just bite it and buy another one. If there was a complete rebuild video that might sway me . It’s amazing she made it to Florida. Hoping for more suggestions here to help me deside. I am a retired designer engineer I can take it apart Clean and replace pArts but that it. If anything needs tweaking or adjusting I have to figure it out. Thx for the info on your mike what did you do to fix it rebuild yourself or buy another ? Thx Tom

#6 ·
The transfer cases for those models were really bad for case wear. There are plenty of videos about this on Youtube. Considering what you most likely will find I would suggest just buying a rebuilt case that has the improvements for rubbing issue. I think you would be saving money in the overall picture. Dean

#9 ·
I swapped one out of my dads truck a few years ago after he drove at least 1400 miles with no oil. I was shocked that it made it home but it did. The hole is so tiny that you really wont find it without filling the case again and driving it a mile or two and then getting under the truck to find the drip.

#12 ·
that should do it.

did you see them on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2007-...110369?hash=item1c4b1a78e1:g:L34AAOSw7p5aYOSy

looks like you cant get them factory fresh new from New Process any more (I did a few years ago) but it looks like someone is putting together an all-new-parts unit which should be a pretty decent unit, I would think. That one says no need for a pump rub kit, too.............

good luck let us know how it works out

#13 ·
Ya I saw those thx.

What I need to deside is do I need to open the new case and update it. If I assume correct the issue is from 1999 to 2007 . Of corse I got a 2006 . But if the case is a newer one my guest and it’s a guess is it has the gM new clip design. I don’t like the new design but maybe it’s fine if it fixed the problem. My question should do I need to update a new case???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.