P0087 lbz stock fuel system low pressure - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DMAXfirefighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

P0087 lbz stock fuel system low pressure

OK I have a 2006 lbz It has 220,000 miles I had injectors tested on both balance and returns rates both fine head CP three tested fine and have fresh fuel filter on have PPE race fuel plug in and whenever I turn the tuneup and sometimes on stock when I get into it hard I will lose pressure now the last things I’ve gotten down to is the FPR or bad Lines has anybody had similar problems ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

several possible causes.
1.Leaky fuel filter head
2, leaky braided fuel lines (drivers side rear of engine, below driver side and possibly on top of the fuel tank
3. cracked fuel pickup in fuel tank.

This thread describes a fix for a known problem.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...tml#post775709

and this thread has some good information for you as well:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:41 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
I know you say the return rates are good, but I would venture to guess this- under high demand, higher throttle, higher pressure, the injectors are returning too much fuel and making the pressure drop. Yes, at idle or cranking the return rates are in spec, but that's not a high-demand situation. I have the same situation on my LBZ I have now, it has 290k on it and every day driving or most towing its fine. But with my LB7 on the trailer (set up for sled pulling and weighing 8000 pounds) if I try to push it too hard, the rail pressure cant keep up. I've worked on the same situation with other trucks, and the fix was injectors-they were just returning too much fuel under high demand.
407driver likes this.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Yes but i dont have this problem with towing I hardly ever tow with the truck and i had a mechanic look at it and he says that if its not fuel filter wich it wasnt it has to be fpr or possibly lines
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

And also there arent any visible leaks that i can see since putting the filter on last night it starts much better and will hold 26 ksi for about 10 seconds even on high tune and all of a sudden it just dips and slows down
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonlbz View Post
And also there arent any visible leaks that i can see since putting the filter on last night it starts much better and will hold 26 ksi for about 10 seconds even on high tune and all of a sudden it just dips and slows down
Ok, so you're not towing. But if it holds rail and then drops off under heavy or wide-open-throttle, its not keeping up under high demand. So its either the tune is too large for the cp3 to keep up without a lift pump, or the injectors are bypassing and returning too much fuel under higher demand and making the rail pressure fall off. That's where I am, only I'm not on a big tune. My truck will run fine if I'm 3/4 throttle or below- actual rail pressure is with desired as long as I'm not demanding too much. If I go over 3/4 throttle for more than a few seconds, the rail pressure starts to fall off

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Update put a lift pump tonight held pressure for exactly one pull then went into limp mode any time i tried giving it fuel it smoked like a fright train and wouldn’t go any faster and threw a p0101 and p0102 if that helps
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonlbz View Post
Update put a lift pump tonight held pressure for exactly one pull then went into limp mode any time i tried giving it fuel it smoked like a fright train and wouldn’t go any faster and threw a p0101 and p0102 if that helps
P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor Performance and P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Frequency so clean the MAF, clear the codes and see what it does after that

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Cleaned it starts fine idles fine but as soon as it goes in drive it lopes hard and blows whiteish smoke doesnt make any noises
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode