How to grease drivetrain slip yolk? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 08:40 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
It'll be alright.

Grease in a gear box.....oh, the horror.
What fluid are you running in the xfer case?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ07Classic View Post
Saw the videos. Looks like tranny is in Park. Could just be the parking paw in the tranny abruptly stopping rotation like it's supposed to do. They always have a little slop in Park which will cause clunk sounds if you turn driveshaft one way then the other rapidly.
Have you tried it in neutral (w/eng off)?
Do you have any loud clunking noises when shifting between reverse and drive?

Yes Transmission was in park, haven't tried it in neutral yet. The same noise happens when accelerating, braking and sometimes when the transmission shifts, more noticeable with harder downshifts I can feel the clunk as well.

The shop that rebuilt the transfer case, greased my slip yoke a year ago and I haven't had any issues with the grease.

2006 LBZ Duramax Hummer H2.
Dans 68mm turbo, WCFab Piping, 30% over nozzles, PCV Re-Route, PPEI Up-pipes, PPEI Manifolds, PPEI DSP5 Tuning with Trans Tuning, Fans 150 w/Sump, ARP Headstuds, Fuel Filter Delete, 3in downpipes, 4in exhaust.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I just changed the transfer case fluid 2 months ago. I used Valvoline Dexron VI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
It'll be alright.

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

221,000 miles, all original, bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 04:21 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
pulled the driveshaft from the transfer case and saw a few drips of thin red fluid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH7 View Post
I just changed the transfer case fluid 2 months ago. I used Valvoline Dexron VI.
There ya go.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Need to find a way to duplicate the clunking while stationary to troubleshoot. That's why I suggested shifting from drive to reverse. U-joints would be the first thing to check but sounds like you've ruled that out already.
Might be a good idea to drain the transfer case fluid and check for scary debris. If a pump rub kit hasn't been installed yet, that would be a good excuse to remove transfer case and have a look inside.

2007 Classic LBZ CCSB Magnaflow exh. Airaid air filter assy. Bilstein 5100's. 120k miles.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Okay, wait a second lol I had read from a bunch of people in various threads on here that the transfer case fluid is not supposed to lube the spines on the driveshaft. And that we are supposed to grease them (Some had said GM even makes a special grease for this $$$)

now I am 100% confused haha Can you help shed some light on this HookEm?

Are we supposed to be using grease like "red & tacky" to grease those splines? Should my transfer case fluid be getting into those splines like that? Seems like there may be some misleading info floating around on this subject? Im stumped!

By the way, Merry Christmas buddy

Quote:
There ya go.

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 05:01 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Every HD we've owned has eventually done this. And every time the shaft was pulled and serviced, the clunk ended.

Clunk after stop = "crap, who hit me from behind"
not subtle in the least.

I theorize that at some point they meet, fluid vs grease....thicker always wins.
That doesn't mean it enters the unit, more like a dam is created.

Before joining and sucking up the knowledge base here, we actually traded the LB7 early 'cause we thought the trans/drive line was toast with seemingly so much slop in both stopping and starting.

It's nothing new, search and you'll find threads on it dating back 15+ years.

Looking back though, it was a blessing to trade, as the LB7 injector issues came about after it was gone. This before GM had offered up the 200k/10yr goodwill injector coverage.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info HookEm, I guess I'll just drive it and see how she feels in a month or so. So far it seemed to help a ton though! I was terrified that the trans was toast the first time i felt the clunk, hoping this solves the issue so I can get back to enjoying driving the truck rather than worrying about it imploding haha.

Quote:
Every HD we've owned has eventually done this. And every time the shaft was pulled and serviced, the clunk ended.

Clunk after stop = "crap, who hit me from behind"
not subtle in the least.

I theorize that at some point they meet, fluid vs grease....thicker always wins.
That doesn't mean it enters the unit, more like a dam is created.

Before joining and sucking up the knowledge base here, we actually traded the LB7 early 'cause we thought the trans/drive line was toast with seemingly so much slop in both stopping and starting.

It's nothing new, search and you'll find threads on it dating back 15+ years.

Looking back though, it was a blessing to trade, as the LB7 injector issues came about after it was gone. This before GM had offered up the 200k/10yr goodwill injector coverage.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ07Classic View Post
Need to find a way to duplicate the clunking while stationary to troubleshoot. That's why I suggested shifting from drive to reverse. U-joints would be the first thing to check but sounds like you've ruled that out already.
Might be a good idea to drain the transfer case fluid and check for scary debris. If a pump rub kit hasn't been installed yet, that would be a good excuse to remove transfer case and have a look inside.
That will be my next thing to check is draining the fluid to check for debris. All my u joints are good. Pump run kit has been installed.

I was able to duplicate the clunk by jacking the rear tires off the ground and rotating them left and right to move the drivetrain.

2006 LBZ Duramax Hummer H2.
Dans 68mm turbo, WCFab Piping, 30% over nozzles, PCV Re-Route, PPEI Up-pipes, PPEI Manifolds, PPEI DSP5 Tuning with Trans Tuning, Fans 150 w/Sump, ARP Headstuds, Fuel Filter Delete, 3in downpipes, 4in exhaust.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It'll be alright.

Not the same year or model truck but I believe its the same transfer case design.

TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 09-04-21-003D
Date: January 14, 2011
Subject: Clunk Noise at Stop or from Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines)
Models:
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Series
2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 1500 Series
2007-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Series
2008-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL 1500 Series
Equipped with 4WD (RPO NQG, NQH)

Attention:
This bulletin contains a procedure to clean/lubricate the rear propshaft slip yoke splines and replace, if necessary. Check the history on this vehicle. If the lubrication procedure has been performed previously, then continue on and replace the transfer case rear output shaft.

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the warranty statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-04-21-003C (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a bump feel or Clunk noise at a stop or on launch. Customers may also comment that the bump feel or Clunk is noticed after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and that it feels as if the vehicle was bumped from behind.
Cause
This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case rear output shaft splines. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backward after stopping its momentum.
Correction
Note
Do not use grease for lubrication of the slip yoke splines on 4WD vehicles. The output shaft in a 4WD transfer case does not have a grease retainer to keep the grease from migrating into the transfer case and mixing with the fluid inside. Grease is not compatible with the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) used in the transfer case and can cause damage if mixed.

Note
The Clunk noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full. If the condition is eliminated after filling the fuel tank, the noise is isolated to the fuel movement in the tank. Please make no repair attempts, as this noise is considered an operating characteristic.

Verify the customer's concern.
Clean/Lubricate Rear PropShaft Slip Yoke Splines 1. Remove the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI. 2. Inspect the rear propshaft slip yoke splines.
Note
Protect the transfer case rear seal from Brake Clean.
3. Clean the rear propshaft slip yoke splines with Brake Clean or equivalent and a shop towel. 4. Assure that the splines are free of rust or other foreign material. 5. Lubricate the spline with Automatic Transmission Fluid, P/N 88861003 (in Canada, 19264717). 6. Reinstall the rear drive shaft. Refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement in SI. 7. Road test the vehicle and verify that the noise is gone. 8. If the vehicle has a repeat concern after lubricating the slip yoke splines, replace the rear output shaft.

Replace Transfer Case Rear Output Shaft
Note
Do Not replace the output shaft unless the cleaning and lubrication procedure is ineffective.
1. Remove the transfer case assembly. Refer to Transfer Case Assembly Replacement in SI. 2. Disassemble the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Disassemble in SI. 3. Replace the transfer case rear output shaft. Refer to the Parts Information below. 4. Assemble the transfer case. 5. Reinstall the transfer case assembly.

2007 Classic LBZ CCSB Magnaflow exh. Airaid air filter assy. Bilstein 5100's. 120k miles.

Last edited by LBZ07Classic; 12-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode