leaking transmission lines - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

leaking transmission lines

ive read this is a common problem and i am looking at the merchant automotive repair kit below

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...pair-Kit-.aspx

is it worth while? ive seen other kits that replace the complete lines and fittings with AN style stuff im sure that works well but im not really interested in doing all that work if this repair kit works. anyone have any experience with it?

2006 duramax- stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy View Post
ive read this is a common problem and i am looking at the merchant automotive repair kit below

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...pair-Kit-.aspx

is it worth while? ive seen other kits that replace the complete lines and fittings with AN style stuff im sure that works well but im not really interested in doing all that work if this repair kit works. anyone have any experience with it?
It is a very common problem. Worried me when my second one started doing it. I first replaced with OEM and then the second one leaked and just bought the fleece replacement kit. Super simple to install. I think they're about the same price.

A lot of different options to suit your plans/budget, but yeah they are all gonna leak eventually if you live in a cold to hot climate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
345k+
Painted Stock wheels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

i live in southern CA. not really crazy colds or hots

2006 duramax- stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?

2006 duramax- stock
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy View Post
Anyone?
It's not going to hurt anything by doing this conversion, if that's what you're asking. I've talked to a few of the guys at merchant about other problems with my truck and they have always seemed to be good knowledgeable people so I'm sure it's a good quality product.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
345k+
Painted Stock wheels
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I did the Fleece Performance lines from the Duramax Store. I didn't want a repair kit. I wanted something that was one piece, new from end to end.

Leads to a story about rip off mechanics. I had an employee install them because I had just had shoulder surgery and couldn't. I later brought it to a Tuffy service center by the house for an alignment and coolant flush. I told them I had three work trucks and my wife's car. I told them I was there because I was temporarily disabled, not because I can't turn my own wrenches which I had been doing for 30 years. If they didn't try to sell me rooty rods or muffler bearings, they'd be my go to shop.

They laughed about the rooty rods and muffler bearings and assured me they don't do things like that. When I went to pick up the truck, they said the [brand new Fleece Performance; the newest, cleanest, shiniest parts on the truck] tranny cooler lines were worn out and needed to be replaced. I said they're brand new. He started back peddling and mumbling his way out. Turns out, one of the fittings was left untightened. All they had to do was touch it, it wasn't even finger tight. They could have said hey we tightend that line for you. Or. hey we tightened that line and checked the others, it will be $20.00 extra. I'd have said great! Thank you! Instead... they just couldn't resist trying to scam me. Come to think of it, as I'm writing this, I wouldn't be surprised if they loosened it. I just assumed the employee was careless.

Edit: They also did a lousy job on the alignment, the steering wheel isn't even close to straight. It's turned to about 10:00 going straight.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 12:47 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Marcy - the stock OEM lines have been improved and are much cheaper than the very nice, very good, aftermarket lines. I have been running the improved OEM lines sine 2010 and they don't leak a drop. I live in Kansas in the summer, Arizona in the winter, no really cold weather for long periods. Cost was right at $105 for all 3 lines.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 04:15 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Same here. Only two were leaking on the LBZ, but the OE 3 set for $100....why not all of 'em.
It was at the 100k change point for the TES-295, so that worked out well with all of the above.
70k miles later, new TC....so I'm fresh again for another 100k on the Delvac full syn.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:54 PM

I'd vote for replacement.
I had an OEM tranny line blow out on me while on a trip.
It was very expensive for tow and replacement at a Stealer.
That was no fun and the only option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode