P0087, mini restoration? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

P0087, mini restoration?

Hey guys. Last summer when towing my 5th wheel on hot summer days over the Rockies I would get a P0087 code. From my research this appears to be caused by old, worn injectors. So at a minimum, I'm looking at doing that this spring.

Now, since I will have the truck down, I'm wondering if it is worth my time to replace some other parts while I have everything apart? I'm teetering on "do everything because this truck is only used to do family vacations and a break down is a really good way to ruin what little time I get off of work" and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

The truck has 220,000 mostly highway miles. I was thinking about doing:

Injectors
Glowplugs
Waterpump
Thermostats
Radiator (Mine was pack FULL of junk and looked horrible when I pulled it)
Fan Clutch
Carrier bearing (its a CCLB an the rubber looks bad)
Radiator hoses
Pulleys and belt are new 3,000 miles ago

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:05 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
From my research this appears to be caused by old, worn injectors.
Fuel Limp can be caused by 1 of 6 different things (high inj return rate is only one), or a little bit of all 6 combined.

Adjusting driver habits can go a long way in not pulling a limp. Like making sure you're running in TH, and dropping down into 'M', keeping your RPMs up in the sweet spot of 18-2200 Rs.

Usually your limps kick in when running below 1800 and mashing the skinny, instead of downshifting before the needed climb/increase in speed.

Pump is gear driven, and after you travel a while, the fuel gets hot and affects what could be marginal areas of the 6 mentioned. Keeping the Rs up helps the pump to overcome the fuel pressure loss from all of the leaks, keeping the dreaded P0087 at bay.

Techs seem to be fond of throwing $3k+ injector jobs as the solution, never having actually tested inj return rates. There are untold numbers of Dmax running out there with far more miles than yours...on the OE injectors.
SilverGorillaLML and bam5128 like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-12-2020 at 11:14 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

That is 100 percent correct. While in tow haul mode, if I shift to M and keep the RPM's up, I don't get the code.

The thing is, I would assume GM wouldn't have designed it this way, and the truck has never done this before. So after reading what I can find, I assumed injectors must be the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
I would assume GM wouldn't have designed it this way,
GM designed yours to run on LSD fuel. We never had these problems way back when.
But now, everyone's forced to run ULSD, which after running it thru the scrubbers, additives are added back to restore lubricity...and in some cases, raise the Cetane levels.

Many of those additives are not compatible with the various seals and rubber hose materials used at the time yours was built. With age, seals can leak, hoses soften and suck flat, or kink in the bends where they didn't before.

Also, with your LBZ injectors, you don't replace the whole set when just one might be marginal.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in