Stupid driver cut me off and now I have no steering - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

5Likes
  • 3 Post By DMAXfirefighter
  • 2 Post By GManLBZwanter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Stupid driver cut me off and now I have no steering

I made it to work this morning, but I'm not sure how. I was driving down the highway in heavy rain and a car pulled out in front of me, I slammed my brakes and swerved barely missing them and hit something on the shoulder, (I should've just hit the car). 5 miles down the highway I turn off to get to work pull into a parking spot and my wheels turn to go into the spot, then I hear a pop, and the steering wheel turns freely not turning wheels. I'm grateful to be at work, but its still raining so I haven't been able to see what is broken. When the rain lets up, Ill see what I can and get pics. Hopefully its nothing major and I can fix in the parking lot.

2006 GMC LBZ Duramax, White CC, Rancho Lift, MBRP no meow Exhaust, S&B Intake, Duramaxtuner DSP5, usually on 4, Transgo Jr., blah blah blah . . .
Also own: 06 Sportster, 08 Buell 1125R, 58 Deville with problems, 60's fiberglass body hot rod, and the wife has an 11 Acadia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 AM
Former GM Tech and parts

Garage
Don't turn the wheel too far! It could cost you a fair amount more if you have to replace the clockspring if you turn too far and break it. Sounds like the impact my have weakened the pitman arm and then broke it going to park. Good thing that didn't happen on the road, makes for a very dangerous situation
JimmyD, J83 and Nitro Junkie like this.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I could see myself spinning the wheel all the way around without thinking about that. Good tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Update: Yup Pitman Arm snapped the shaft. Thank God it happened when I was pulling in to the parking spot and not while going 60 mph down the highway. I could do the job myself in my own shop, but Id have to pay to get it towed there, a local shop just picked it up with their rig and quoted me $175 plus the part. I told them to use Moog, if they could find one local. I hope that's all it is but they will check the alignment also.

2006 GMC LBZ Duramax, White CC, Rancho Lift, MBRP no meow Exhaust, S&B Intake, Duramaxtuner DSP5, usually on 4, Transgo Jr., blah blah blah . . .
Also own: 06 Sportster, 08 Buell 1125R, 58 Deville with problems, 60's fiberglass body hot rod, and the wife has an 11 Acadia.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Damn, that's scary stuff. Glad to hear you dodged the bullet.

I've seen lots of bent A arms/axles, broken ball-joints, spindles, tie-rods, etc but never heard of pitman arms snapping unless it was in a really severe accident.

This is the second one I've heard abt recently. The other one snapped at parking lot speed too.

Was that the OEM pitman arm?

2007 Classic LBZ CCSB Magnaflow exh. Airaid air filter assy. Bilstein 5100's. 120k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode