06 LBZ on Life Support - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
There,wolf...There,castle

06 LBZ on Life Support

Have read some threads that seem similar to my issue but none seem exactly so for what it's worth throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas, has seen this before and in the end posting the exactly problem and fix once found.

As much of a backstory as I think may be relevant:
Saturday night filled the truck up with roughly 18 gals of fuel and drove home. Next morning got up drove the truck to church about 30 mins from the house. After church went out to crank the truck. It immediately began to lope and surge. Saw an engine overheat pop up on the DIC so shut it down. Popped the hood and checked coolant although I knew there was no way for it to have overheated. Everything looked fine. Went to try and crank it and nothing. Lights came on, lift pump was running and everything seemed to be like it should but would not even try to turn over. Began looking at fuses and found 25 amp #1 blown. Replaced that one and tried to fire again. This time it turned over but immediately shut down. Tried a couple times and it turned over each time but shut down immediately. Finally got it to stay on but it loped and surged like the first time. I couldn't spot anything obvious when looking at wires and such so had it towed to the shop. Anyway anyone got any ideas?

2006 2500HD GMC Sierra SB/CC

EFI by kory thanks to Willie at Synthetic Motorsports
Diamond eye down pipe,5" MBRP straight pipe exhaust
PCV reroute EGR delete
Nicktane Adapter W/ Donaldson filter
PPE Race Fuel Valve Ported Fuel Rail Fitting
FASS 150 Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My LMM did something similar due to a bad battery cable terminal. I fixed the terminals and tried to start. It started after about twice the normal cranking time and then died. It did this 2 or 3 times. I cleared all the codes and tried again, same thing. I cleared the codes again (don't remember what they were) disconnected both batteries for about 10 minutes and tried again. Started right up and has been fine since.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:50 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Sounds like a variety of probables;
Low amps can do strange things to all of the modules. Batteries should be load tested. Connections inspected.

Stud #1 fuse....feeds the 12v hot aux feed in your 7-pin trailer plug.

There are numerous idiot proof things in the logic to prevent devastation. One of those is the overheat shutdown. That info input would come from your ECT sensor, on top near the T-stats. Bad sensor, damaged wires to it, etc.

But again, back to the low amps thing. There's a lot of handshakes going on between the different sensors and modules at start up. low amps can cause conflicting info between them all.
Nitro Junkie and 407driver like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-13-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
My LMM did something similar due to a bad battery cable terminal. I fixed the terminals and tried to start. It started after about twice the normal cranking time and then died. It did this 2 or 3 times. I cleared all the codes and tried again, same thing. I cleared the codes again (don't remember what they were) disconnected both batteries for about 10 minutes and tried again. Started right up and has been fine since.
No such luck there. Those connections look just fine and I pulled both negatives and let them sit for roughly 7 hours before reconnecting with the same results. Plus I couldn't pull any codes with the CTS or Autocal, so maybe a tech 2 can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Low amps can do strange things to all of the modules. Batteries should be load tested. Connections inspected.

There are numerous idiot proof things in the logic to prevent devastation. One of those is the overheat shutdown. That info input would come from your ECT sensor, on top near the T-stats. Bad sensor, damaged wires to it, etc.

But again, back to the low amps thing. There's a lot of handshakes going on between the different sensors and modules at start up. low amps can cause conflicting info between them all.
Interesting. I just put a class V hitch on and installed a new plug and play 7 pin connector. Maybe it has something to do with it but that was 3-4 weeks ago.

As for the rest It's somewhere to start
Nitro Junkie likes this.

PCV reroute EGR delete
FASS 150 Titanium
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Could an intermittent short, not quite dead enough to blow the fuse right away, in the trailer wiring have messed with his computer like my battery terminals?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Could've blown upon install.....not many check the aux12v after install, just the lights and brakes. It might not have anything to do with the truck side, might be a lose terminal inside the trailer's plug, touching another post.
werewolf and Nitro Junkie like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Could've blown upon install.....not many check the aux12v after install, just the lights and brakes. It might not have anything to do with the truck side, might be a lose terminal inside the trailer's plug, touching another post.
So is it coincidence that after I replaced the fuse I was able to get the truck to turn back over where prior it was nothing?

PCV reroute EGR delete
FASS 150 Titanium
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think we are looking at the wrong fuses. The fuse I blew was the spot one ECM fuse *1 I guess I should have said. Not stud 1

PCV reroute EGR delete
FASS 150 Titanium
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Think the problem has been found. Can’t get the video uploaded but ecm is toast. It was pulled and has a nice jingle inside. Tried one from another truck and fired up and ran.
Nitro Junkie likes this.

PCV reroute EGR delete
FASS 150 Titanium
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 AM

I would trace the wire from that fuse plus any grounds on the circuit from one end to the other looking for a loose connection or short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode