Flywheel lock - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Flywheel lock

I'm changing the water pump on my 2006 Jayco Seneca Zx that sits on the Chevrolet Kodiak c5500 chassis and is powered by the Duramax 6.6 lly.

I'm trying to get the fan clutch off with the large nut, but I'm having trouble getting the flywheel to lock, so I can get the nut off . There's no place in or behind the pulley to fit anything into, so I took the starter out and thought I could jam something in there. Unfortunately the flywheel isn't turning when I turn the big nut, so of course it isn't coming loose. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

You might have to find one these. They go in an inspection hole in the bellhouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 412AB462-F0EA-4A62-9E02-92CD1A515987.jpg (21.9 KB, 30 views)

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:41 PM

Garage
I always just used a big wrench and a hammer.Otherwise you will have to find a way to hold the pulley.The flywheel lock won't help because the pulley will slip on the serpentine belt.Merchant auto also makes a tool that can be used with an air hammer that seems like it would work well

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2004 lb7 260k mahle delipped pistons,lmm rods,arp head studs,45 overs,built trans,ppei tuning,366sxe,5inch exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer95 View Post
I always just used a big wrench and a hammer.Otherwise you will have to find a way to hold the pulley.The flywheel lock won't help because the pulley will slip on the serpentine belt.Merchant auto also makes a tool that can be used with an air hammer that seems like it would work well

I do have a big wrench and a hammer, where do I hammer?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Garage
Put the wrench on the nut straight up or slightly leaning towards the passenger side of the truck and hit the end of the wrench in the direction the nut needs to turn(toward the passenger side to loosen)..4 pound hammer is what I use..generally a couple good blows will knock the fan loose so u can spin it off by hand

2004 lb7 260k mahle delipped pistons,lmm rods,arp head studs,45 overs,built trans,ppei tuning,366sxe,5inch exhaust
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 PM

Personally, I had no luck with the various whack-it approaches. If you have the time, search for a spanner wrench that claims to fit in the holes in the pulley (I think there are 3 holes, so the spanner would fit in 2 of them). I didn't want to wait, so I made one with a large steel carpenter square and a couple of bolts that fit in the pulley holes. That way you (or better, your assistant) can hold the pulley while you whack on the nut.

You will also need the Lisle tools in Post #2 to hold the flywheel when you take off (and later put back on) the harmonic balancer on the crank. Yes, you have to take it off to get at the hidden bolt on the water pump. Actually, I didn't use the flywheel lock to take off the crank bolt because my mighty HF air impact wrench took it right off. Others use a really big breaker bar with a pipe extension (and would have to use the flywheel lock).

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harris View Post
I'm changing the water pump on my 2006 Jayco Seneca Zx that sits on the Chevrolet Kodiak c5500 chassis and is powered by the Duramax 6.6 lly.

I'm trying to get the fan clutch off with the large nut, but I'm having trouble getting the flywheel to lock, so I can get the nut off . There's no place in or behind the pulley to fit anything into, so I took the starter out and thought I could jam something in there. Unfortunately the flywheel isn't turning when I turn the big nut, so of course it isn't coming loose. Any suggestions?
Get the Lisle lock set that's shown on another post. I have one if you can't find it anywhere. You should mention where your'e located, somebody might have one in your area.......

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Something that hasn't been pointed out yet, but the fan you're trying to pull is not part of the water pump as with most other engines. So the flywheel lock has no effect on keeping it from spinning.

Short quick blows on the wrench with a shop hammer will break the fan nut loose.
It's not that tight. The rotation of the engine holds it in place.

The flywheel lock is for when you remove the lower balancer pulley, to access 1 of the water pump bolts that's behind it.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in