low power steering fluid - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

low power steering fluid

There has been a whining under the hood on the driver's side. Seemed to get worse after it warmed up and turning. Also had some weird play in my brakes.

Checked the power steering fluid and it didn't read on the dipstick while cold. Had to add about 12 ounces to get it to the correct level. Is there a "typical" spot where it would leak? Would this mess with the brakes? Almost 235k miles.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:18 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Is there a "typical" spot where it would leak? Would this mess with the brakes?
Yes, and yes.
The PS pump also supplies pressure to the brake booster (Hydro-Boost).

Look at where the brake booster bolts to the master cylinder. On the underside of that joint, wipe with a paper towel.

If it's wet, there's your source. You're wiping over the weep slot, where the PS fluid leaks out of the booster, when it fails.

Check that and report back.
ALSO! The PS pump DOES NOT like being low on fluid (whine you heard). It will only survive a few of those abuse sessions, before it gives up and dies too.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Hey hook em, so in order to fix this particular leak, Id have to replace the whole hydroboost? Im wondering if its rebuildable or theres a rebuild kit. I noticed a slight leak on mine. Not bad to where power steering is low but fluid is dripping from the weep hole.

Thank you for your info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 LBZ CCLB in Graystone Metallic
Leveling keys, CAT fuel filter and oil filter, ARP headstuds, stage 2 Garrett turbo, PCV reroute, Raptor lift pump, Edge CTS monitor, EFI live, EGR delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Yes, replace.
Reman units don't have a good % of not failing within 6mos, so goes the rebuild route.

New unit and be done with it, is the way to go. You don't want to be playing contortionist up under the dash every few months. Plus the leaks; a little bit of PS fluid can look like gallons when it comes to coating everything under the hood. Plus, the PS reservoir isn't that big, so it's easy to continually run the pump low....which leads to pump problems.

And then you have the core charge thing with a reman AND parts to swap over, online purchase means even more $$ for freight to return....it winds up being the same to just eat the core charge.

Where to find new and not reman? Difficult task.
However, you can find a new 2011 version for new....cheaper than most remans, no core charge, and no parts to swap over.

$186 ACDELCO 1781036
The only mod needed to adapt, is to enlarge the hole a bit on the plunger rod, so the brake switch seats properly and everything associated with that switch (like coming out of Park) will work. Use a step bit, or SEARCH the forum on this and find the exact xx/64" bit needed.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...46602&jsn=3140

Edit; found it...
Quote:
I borrowed a 17mm (about 43/64) drill bit from work, and enlarged the hole.
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...l#post12050433

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 01-29-2020 at 03:39 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

If you need a Hydroboost I have one , brand new or a 2012. I will sell it for $150 + shipping. If you are interested PM me. It is part #19371365 still in its original box. Bought it at GM Parts Direct.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-29-2020 at 07:21 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Yes, and yes.
The PS pump also supplies pressure to the brake booster (Hydro-Boost).

Look at where the brake booster bolts to the master cylinder. On the underside of that joint, wipe with a paper towel.

If it's wet, there's your source. You're wiping over the weep slot, where the PS fluid leaks out of the booster, when it fails.

Check that and report back.
ALSO! The PS pump DOES NOT like being low on fluid (whine you heard). It will only survive a few of those abuse sessions, before it gives up and dies too.
I wiped with a paper towel and felt with my hand and didn't feel any fluid. It is dirty in that area though. I've attached photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8597.jpg (71.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8598.jpg (66.6 KB, 29 views)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Pull back the carpet on the driver's side firewall, inspect there where the plunger rod comes thru. Most times it leaks out in the engine bay, but sometimes they'll leak on the inside and run down under the carpet/pad.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, replace.
Reman units don't have a good % of not failing within 6mos, so goes the rebuild route.

New unit and be done with it, is the way to go. You don't want to be playing contortionist up under the dash every few months. Plus the leaks; a little bit of PS fluid can look like gallons when it comes to coating everything under the hood. Plus, the PS reservoir isn't that big, so it's easy to continually run the pump low....which leads to pump problems.

And then you have the core charge thing with a reman AND parts to swap over, online purchase means even more $$ for freight to return....it winds up being the same to just eat the core charge.

Where to find new and not reman? Difficult task.
However, you can find a new 2011 version for new....cheaper than most remans, no core charge, and no parts to swap over.

$186 ACDELCO 1781036
The only mod needed to adapt, is to enlarge the hole a bit on the plunger rod, so the brake switch seats properly and everything associated with that switch (like coming out of Park) will work. Use a step bit, or SEARCH the forum on this and find the exact xx/64" bit needed.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...46602&jsn=3140

Edit; found it...

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...l#post12050433

I forgot to say thank you for the help! I will be looking at a replacement soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 LBZ CCLB in Graystone Metallic
Leveling keys, CAT fuel filter and oil filter, ARP headstuds, stage 2 Garrett turbo, PCV reroute, Raptor lift pump, Edge CTS monitor, EFI live, EGR delete
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Pull back the carpet on the driver's side firewall, inspect there where the plunger rod comes thru. Most times it leaks out in the engine bay, but sometimes they'll leak on the inside and run down under the carpet/pad.
Looks wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8601.jpg (52.8 KB, 15 views)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:45 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Bummer.
Hopefully it hasn't made a mess under the carpet yet.

Have you lost any fluid level since refilling?
The two High Pressure lines' crimps can leak too. Have you inspected those for leaks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode