Coolant loss again - suspect egr - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Coolant loss again - suspect egr

I don't show any signs of hg leak but I'm losing coolant. I replaced the reservoir cap on monday cause it was leaking. But now this time theres no visible leak. Leads me to believe its going out the exhaust from a bad eqr. What does the egr do? Is it similar to the cdr tuna can on the 6.2 and 6.5? What is the egr exhausting? The crankcase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:19 AM

CDR tuna can ??

18 GMC 2500 SLT 4x4 crew L5P w / regrets.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the 6.2 and 6.5 had a tuna can looking piece mounted on top of the passenger side valve cover. It vented the crankcase. Its called a CDR. It did not cool when it was reintroduced into the intake before the turbo. It came straight out of the valve cover sortest distance straight back into the intake. These are the diesels before the dmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Its a hg. Upper hose was hard this morning and there was still pressure in the reservoir. I wanted it to be the egr cause I could just delete the egr cheap. Thats why the sneaky Russians sold it to me 5k under kbb. Didnt even have it a full week.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I dont understand how they could of rigged it to run right cause its obvious now it had this issue before I bought it. I checked it over the weekend and the hose was soft. You know what, they broke the reservoir cap so it wouldn't build pressure and show signs of a blown hg. There were tool marks on the original reservoir cap where someone broke the inside springs. Now it all makes sense. Fuck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 AM

Look at the quick connects to the heater core on the passenger side. Drips down to the exhaust, evaporates and hard to discover.

2006 LBZ crew regular bed
285/70r17
Daily driver
Horse hauler
No other mods
280k and going strong.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesailor View Post
Look at the quick connects to the heater core on the passenger side. Drips down to the exhaust, evaporates and hard to discover.
No visible leaks in the engine bay. BUT theres liquid under the floor mat passenger side and my heat is taking a real long time to get up to temperature. It doesn't smell like coolant though. I tried blowing heat on it but doesn't evaporate or is leaking some. The leak isn't real bad. Its happening over a few days. Theres bubbles in the reservoir- forgot if i mentioned that. Oil is burning up quick. There is no noticable smoke. Would a heater core cause these symptoms? If I take the heater core feed and return off and hook them together could I bypass the core? Would that help me narrow it down? I am alarmed there is something leaking around the blower but would it cause the rad hose to be hard when cold?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:11 PM

Garage
This is very interesting to me. I have an LB7 with 215,XXX miles. I am not loosing coolant no signs of oil in the water no leaks and yet my upper rad hose is hard in the mornings also. I am trying to find time to rip apart the EGR and check in there. The tail pipe isnt wet no white smoke/ steam. I am baffled

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 213,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

1967 Camaro "Drive it like you stole it".
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Im gonna have to have it tested. With the amount of bubbles in the reservoir you would think it would be leaking somewhere in the engine bay. Does the dmax have a valley that would collect fluid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode