Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Legal tuner in CA

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  one4un14me 
#1 ·
Took my truck for visual smog check and the technician told me that computer will fail any tune (even on stock) on ECM without C.A.R.B. EO sticker. I told the technician that nothing was deleted on my truck except tunes. He said it doesn't matter if all emissions intact, the computer will check if any tune installed will automatic fail. The technician said go with legal tuners with EO Sticker. Sigh... I know EFI Live is awesome but couldn't find any tuner who have C.A.R.B. approved for EFI Live. I am looking at Edge Evolution CTS2 but doesn't like pulling fuse every time changing tune. I checked Banks Power and it does have on the fly tune. Any other turners I should check before giving up EFI Live tune.

#2 ·
I am not sure how they will be able to tell, the dealer looks at the checksum value vs the vin, but I highly doubt a carb guy has access to that. Did you tell him it was tuned?

He is right that no modification can be made that doesn't have a CARB sticker, but still I am not sure how they can tell from a tune unless the tune failed a readiness check.

As for CARB tuning, the only person that might sell it is DuramaxTuner.com, but I am not sure if he has it yet.

I am not sure what CA does for diesels, I know in AZ they do a readiness check for gas engines and opacity only for diesels which you could perform a readiness check with a v2 to see if it would pass. It basically checks to see if systems including emissions systems are in a ready state, depending how a truck is deleted it may or may not show readiness. Years ago when I looked into it in Texas they allowed for a certain number of systems to be not ready depending on the year as I recall.

#3 ·
FWIW ,my 2015 truck passed a CA emissions check with a emissions friendly EFI tune in it, everything but DPF is turned off. nothing is removed had not put DEF in it for a year. did not say anything just took it in and said I need a Cert. I left with it done and passed. Worst case is you fail?

#4 ·
He saw DSP5 switch, Pyrometer EGT gauge and Booster gauge so he bought up about it. The technician told me to come back with legal tune and EO sticker. Not sure if he is bluffing or BAR OIS OBD portion will include CVN/Cal-ID checksum. I could re-flash stock back but need to adjust tire size and axle ratio that was not part of my original stock file. Would that modification pass with stock file checksum???? I have two months to get it smog visual check when registration due. I could try another smog shop anyways.

#5 ·
I believe the superchips Flashpaq is carb legal. It’s what I run on both my trucks and passed smog with them

#6 ·
The guy sounds like a Dick.

There are guys who want to find a way to pass you and those that want to find a way to fail you. This guy sounds like the latter.

Find another shop!

#7 ·
The guy sounds like a Dick.

There are guys who want to find a way to pass you and those that want to find a way to fail you. This guy sounds like the latter.

Find another shop!
Agreed. Took to another shop and smog passed with no questions asked.

Reactions: mray
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.