Egr hose - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 PM

I know this an old thread but seems to be the closest to helping with my situation. Truck is 2006 Duramax LBZ, Stock

Had a coolant leak and narrowed it down to the hose going from the egr cooler to the thermostat. Got the back clamp off but can't get the 90 degree tube out of the thermostat, removed both bolts holding it down but it hits the metal piece above it before it clears the thermostat. I cut the hose in half hoping that would allow me to see-saw it down in the back and pop up in the front out of the thermostat housing but no luck> I'm completely stumped, not sure what the best next step is? Removing the intake? if I do am I going to need new gaskets? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
That's the coolant inlet line to the EGR cooler.

Remove the hold down, that tube end seals with an O-ring....and when it comes out, I can guarantee you'll need a new one....I matched one up at the parts store, nothing special.

If you remove the EGR manifold for access, No new gaskets needed.
But if you remove the air box intake tube, some long reach needle nose pliers should do the trick without removing the tube.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:31 PM

I see no way to get that tube to go up high enough to come out of the hole I tried prying up on the hold down bracket and still nothing. I couldn't get the air box intake tube (mouthpiece?) off but after removing the crossover pipe, I did get it to spin clockwise enough to get the back clamp off. There doesn't seem to be any way to get to the front side clamp from either the front or the rear. Part of the problem is the terminology, what is the big metal piece that is above the egr inlet hose, it has the wiring harness attached to it with Torx screws and has 3 studs with nuts and 3 bolts holding it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
That's the EGR manifold, item 741 in the last pic below. 365 & 732 are metal gaskets to reuse.

On the underside, you'll see two flanges where the EGR valve attaches to it.
I have removed it before to gain access to that tube and the blown short piece of rubber on the end that's causing your leak. You don't need to remove the inlet duct, just the flex tube between it and the air box.

But some of these https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-1...set-64082.html
will allow you to reach in and release that spring clamp and remove the hose, without removing the EGR manifold running on top of it.
Nice set to have around.

Item 110 below (1st pic) is the O-ring that won't survive the pulling of the tube out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LBZegr.jpg (47.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg LBzIntake.jpg (46.6 KB, 28 views)

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 10-29-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 PM

I have that exact set of pliers, they come in really handy, but I cant' get them anywhere near the front clamp. the hold down bracket has bent with me prying on it without the tube coming out of that hole. It is sort of loose but the top of the pipe hits the underside of the egr manifold. You were able to to easily pop it out of the thermostat on an LBZ? And you were able to get to the front clamp with pliers?
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Just remove the manifold, it's not difficult.

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Thanks for all the help. Finally got the tube out of the thermostat housing. For anyone who struggles with this part mine was REALLY stuck in there, it would wiggle but would not break free upwards, I was clamped onto the tube with vice grips pulling with both hands while wiggling it and nothing. What finally did it was spraying a little PB Blaster around the housing and then I got a 90 degree pick under the hold down tab as close to the edge of the tube as possible and pried. It finally popped free, the oring looks fine but I'm going to change it anyway. I removed the manifold but in hindsight I probably didn't need to.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:58 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Thanks for the followup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode