Turbo - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turbo

Howdy,

Is there a way to diagnose a faulty Turbo unit. I have a 2007 3500 dually and when pulling my RV (16,000 lbs), up a slight incline on the interstate against a decent headwind, I'm lucky to get up to 55mph, which then promptly overheats the engine.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Signs of a bad turbo would be oil/ coolant consumption/ smoke out of the exhaust, low boost levels, grinding noises. If your turbo is bad you would have trouble getting your RV up to speed on flat ground. I've seen faulty CP3 pumps that don't act up unless you're pulling a load, but fuel or air issues shouldn't cause overheating. I would suspect the two are unrelated. How are your fluid levels? What kind of boost are you running into? Do you have any codes?

2008 LMM CCSB 2500HD 4x4 (170,000)
Mods: -Big Dipper Trans/Pump Rub Fix by Todd S. -Lifted (35x12.5 R18) -Fully Deleted -4" Exhaust -EFI Live by PPEI
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb7dirtymax01 View Post
Signs of a bad turbo would be oil/ coolant consumption/ smoke out of the exhaust, low boost levels, grinding noises. If your turbo is bad you would have trouble getting your RV up to speed on flat ground. I've seen faulty CP3 pumps that don't act up unless you're pulling a load, but fuel or air issues shouldn't cause overheating. I would suspect the two are unrelated. How are your fluid levels? What kind of boost are you running into? Do you have any codes?
Are you keeping the engine RPM above 2000 - when climbing-?? Using Tow/Haul mode-? Have you cleaned the "Stack'"-?? Have sufficient air flow - radiator - over heat due to low RPM and restricted radiator-! How old is the fuel filter-?? Do you have any codes--?? Check the boots where they attach t the intercooler. May have come apart.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.

Last edited by jc1843; 06-27-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Administrator

May have a fuel hose problem-- but this will NOT cause overheat--

Check the fuel hoses at the driver side of the trans, where they curve to go up-! Some have had a kink and that restricted fuel flow and caused low power. GM had a TSB on the problem- GM BULLETIN #PIP4526!!

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I apologize for the delayed response to all who have answered my original question. Anyways, I do have a code now - PO403, exhaust gas, recirculation circ error. I don't know what that means but will be looking into it.

I saw another reply that asked if I was running 2000 rpm going into the climb. I was moving south on I-35 from New Braunfels, cruising at 60 to 65 mph and the climb was just the slight terrain incline when it seems to struggle in power even though I keep the pedal down, it slowed to 50 to 55 mph and then begins to over-heat. Top the hill and running flat again while letting off the throttle, it cools back to 210. ?

I'll have to re-read the other questions to answer the best I can. I am a pretty decent mechanic and do all my own R&R repairs but this is my first diesel truck, and a fine truck it is. Unfortunately, I've been busy getting all the physical chore's done cuz I'm scheduled for a knee replacement on Tues, the 3rd. So I won't be doing any mechanic work for several weeks.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb7dirtymax01 View Post
Ok, it's not loosing oil or coolant, I do have intermittent puffs of black smoke during a stressed acceleration but never under no towing, no grinding noises. Unsure what you mean by the boost levels and the CP3 pumps. I have it programmed for performance towing, (Superchips), fluid levels are all topped off.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
Are you keeping the engine RPM above 2000 - when climbing-?? Using Tow/Haul mode-? Have you cleaned the "Stack'"-?? Have sufficient air flow - radiator - over heat due to low RPM and restricted radiator-! How old is the fuel filter-?? Do you have any codes--?? Check the boots where they attach t the intercooler. May have come apart.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
jc1843
I didn't have the tow/haul mode engaged and what is the "stack". Radiator is clean with good air flow, fuel filter is at 35%. As I mentioned in an above post, I now have a PO403 code. About the fuel hose problem, I'll have to wait til after rehab'n my knee to check the hoses. I don't think it's a problem since the truck runs excellent when not pulling a load.

Thanks, T
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Administrator

You should always use the tow haul mode when towing- IMHO The shift points are higher.
Keeping the RPM above 2000 or closer to 2500 is better when towing- you have more coolant circulating- and when the fan is engaged, it will pull more air through the radiator. Resulting in cooler engine temperature.

Cleaning the Stack refers to removing the radiator, flushing the fins on the radiator and AC condenser. Debris gets collected between the two and can block the air flow. You cannot see the debris until the radiator is removed. Spraying water through the condenser is not enough.
jdwarren likes this.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:39 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott View Post
jc1843
I didn't have the tow/haul mode engaged and what is the "stack". Radiator is clean with good air flow, fuel filter is at 35%. As I mentioned in an above post, I now have a PO403 code. About the fuel hose problem, I'll have to wait til after rehab'n my knee to check the hoses. I don't think it's a problem since the truck runs excellent when not pulling a load.

Thanks, T
I definitely agree with @jc1843 that you should use T/H whenever pulling a trailer of any significant weight (I use T/H with any load over one ton). T/H will keep your torque converter locked as soon as you're out of first gear, which will reduce the heat dissipation from the transmission and converter. This may be a stretch, but it's possible that not using T/H could be related to overheating. I say this because I am pretty certain that the transmission cooler is located in front of the radiator, so if your transmission fluid is extremely hot then the air passing over the transmission cooler will already be warmed up by the time it hits the radiator; this could reduce the radiator's heat dissipation capacity. Personally, I doubt that this effect would be that significant but I figure it's at least worth mentioning. Do you know what your approximate transmission temperature was when this problem occurred?

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Trans fluid runs thru the Rad 1st, then out front to the aux cooler, it's all like one big heat sink. Higher trans fluid temps add to the heat load and can affect ECT.

I'm familiar with that SB run to SA. From your description;
Quote:
cruising at 60 to 65 mph and the climb was just the slight terrain incline when it seems to struggle in power even though I keep the pedal down, it slowed to 50 to 55 mph and then begins to over-heat.
60-65, no T/H engaged, running in 6th gear, @ probably 1700-1800Rs, with an 8-ton building, into a headwind, lugging it down even further as you drop to 50.

Add in the brutal Texas summer heat, That's covering everything you don't want to do.
You're just wasting fuel and making heat (and making road rage behind ya). Try this instead;
T/H engaged
Run in M5, lock out 6th.
Keep your RPMs in the range of 2050-2200

That's going to put you closer to 67-68mph, TC locked (cooler trans), pushing a lot more air/higher boost, more coolant flow, and even though you're running higher Rs, you'll actually be using less fuel. And that loss of power thing, gone. You'll see that the throttle at that point is a bit 'touchy', enticing you towards 72mph (which your trailer tires might not like).

Also, your from a stop acceleration to hwy speed, running in T/H, you'll see that the Ally will also move the shift points up to that same RPM range. That's where the powa is.
407driver likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode