Fighting coolant issues - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Fighting coolant issues

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I’ve had my truck for about 9 months. I’ve had no issues with it up until about a month ago. My low coolant light came on so I filled the reservoir up and burped the system. Ever since then I’ve been fighting the coolant. Sometimes my truck goes a few days of driving without “loosing” coolant. Other times it’s one drive. I’m at a loss. It’s not puddling up underneath my truck when it sits. The coolant doesn’t appear to be going into my oil or my oil into my coolant. When I start my truck after it’s cooled off, the temp comes up to about 145 then drops to like 80-90 then 5-10 minutes later it comes up to 190-200 then bounces from 180-195 as it should. I’ve just continued to try and burp it because I read that sometimes they can be a real PITA to burp. I’m really hoping it’s not HG’s. I’m getting a coolant cap today to see if that helps and I also read of a guy who had similar issues to mine whom discovered his rad had a small crack so tomorrow I will be taking it to my shop and putting a burp funnel on it and letting her run for a good while with the heat on to make sure I’ve got all the air out. Should I do a pressure test on it after I burp it? 15 psi for 30 minutes or should I do that before? I’m new to diesels but not mechanically illiterate so I’d like to know all the things I can do to help diagnose it. Thanks for all the help y’all can give me.

P.s. 06 lbz GMC Sierra 2500hd AWD. EGR block off plates, K&N CIA, 3” dp to 4” mbrp, edge insight CTS2. Just turned 120k, bought it with 110 this past February.

‘06 LBZ Sierra 2500HD AWD. K&N CAI, EGR Block plates, 3” DP to 4” MBRP, transgo jr, edge insight CTS2. Full AMSOIL fluids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Bump for some insight. Got a new coolant cap from Autozone. Gonna make a pressure testing cap out of the old one.

‘06 LBZ Sierra 2500HD AWD. K&N CAI, EGR Block plates, 3” DP to 4” MBRP, transgo jr, edge insight CTS2. Full AMSOIL fluids.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Have you checked the weep hole underneath the water pump or any signs of your lower radiator hose being wet?

2017 L5P
DDP intake
DDP intercooler pipe
Cognito UCA's
Cognito PISK
lift keys
Fox Shocks
18x9 +18 Method wheels
295/70/18 Nitto terra G2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I read about the weep hole but haven’t checked it yet. Nothing appears to be wet or leaking but I’ve yet to confirm the water pump

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:42 PM

My 04 never left a puddle but it was definitely noticeable after looking underneath.. wouldn't hurt to take a look

2017 L5P
DDP intake
DDP intercooler pipe
Cognito UCA's
Cognito PISK
lift keys
Fox Shocks
18x9 +18 Method wheels
295/70/18 Nitto terra G2's
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Thank you, I will do that and report back with my findings.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:08 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Yeah, 120k...'bout WP time.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:28 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Replaced the water pump pretty much immediately after I bought my lly with about 130k on it.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I drove my truck briefly yesterday morning and parked it. When I checked the upper rad hose it was not hard. I’m searching for the weep hole in the water pump but I can’t see anything that looks like a weep hole. Even looked at multiple videos and I don’t see it. Put the new cap on before I drove it and topped it off with coolant but it’s low again. Below half a tank. Any advice on finding this “weep” hole. I read that once the trucks up to temp it more than likely won’t leak

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
Moved to LBZ

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode