2006 LLY Blown Engine - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By DailyDmax
  • 1 Post By Hook'em_Horns!
  • 1 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

2006 LLY Blown Engine

Asking a few questions for a good friend. His 2006 LLY has about 120K miles and has been absolutely pristine and has ran flawlessly since he bought it a year ago. He noticed a coolant leak on the way back from a trip and decided to keep adding water while watching the temp gauge and all was going well. The temp gauge was staying around it's normal temp and he continued to add water frequently. We wanted to get it home and offload a slide in camper and trailer with motorcycles on it and take it to the shop the next day. Then suddenly without warning black smoke poured out of the exhausts and it lost all power. While on the side of the road he tried to restart it and got the limp mode indication but it would not fire. The next day a small diesel shop tells him that the engine is blown and all indications were that it got really hot. The initial quote was 13K for a complete new Jasper engine and around 5K to install it. The shop later said that they simply don't want to mess with it.

I have an 07 LBZ myself and thought that these Duramax diesels are bullet proof and have sensors all over and protect themselves before something catastrophic happens. We just find it hard to believe that this is the correct diagnosis and we are going to get at least another opinion of course. So, a few initial questions here. And I know, I am leaving out a ton of required diagnostic info from the shop but I don't have it in front of me right now.

1. What are the odds that this engine really is ruined at 120K miles and how rare would this be considering that he was focused on his temp gauge the entire time and it was normal?

2. What is the most reputable resource to get a complete engine if it's really needed?

3. What should a shop charge to swap out this engine?

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Now we have more info. The technician seems pretty knowledgeable and experienced. He said no compression in at least 6 cylinders. I asked if he did compression checks and he said he didn't need to and he just knows what he's hearing when it cranks over. He said the engine got super hot and he could tell by the smell of the engine oil and the smell of other things. He said one thing stood out when he pulled the data - the intake air reached 280 degrees at some point according to sensor data. I said we must have a faulty temp gauge and he brought up a good point. The gauge can't read correctly if there's no water flowing across the sensor. He said everything needs to be evaluated after a major overheating. The coolant lines, fuel injectors, turbo, etc. He said he would not be surprised if the engine reached 350 degrees based on the intake air temp alone. It all sort of makes sense but still looking for others to jump in here with any opinions.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:12 PM

It very well could have cracked a piston or something, but to have 6 cylinders do it at once I have a hard time believing. I would definitely want a compression test of each cylinder completed then go from there.
407driver likes this.

2005 Silverado 2500, Crew Cab Short Bed. 122,000 miles
MODS: AFE intake, LBZ mouth piece, MBRP cat- less exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
He noticed a coolant leak
From where?

Quote:
...considering that he was focused on his temp gauge the entire time and it was normal?
Did he ever notice the oil psi gauge during all of this?
407driver likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 05-11-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDmax View Post
It very well could have cracked a piston or something, but to have 6 cylinders do it at once I have a hard time believing. I would definitely want a compression test of each cylinder completed then go from there.
Yep. Same here but I believe the engine would need to come out for even one piston issue which is huge $$.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Not sure on where the water was leaking but he said it was pretty significant so he was diligent on topping it off. Not sure on any observations of the other gauges but he was probably fixated on the temp gauge. I think if any warnings or idiot lights were to come on he would have stopped. Just hard for me to believe that this truck would not have had all sorts of warnings, alarms and would not have shut itself down. He certainly would have stopped and turned it off. I went over to the shop and pulled the DTCs and there was a misfire in all eight cylinders and an EGR code. That's it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Yes, as you progress thru to the higher temps, warnings and bells before an engine saving shut down. But if there's a problem with the ECT sensor, then.....?

Total failure of the water pump, gushing out the front lower engine area, with no coolant flow moving across the sensor, perhaps no heat was seen.

However, as the ECT heat rose, so would the oil temps, which would show up as a drop in psi as it thinned out.

Although some (Schaefer's) synthetics will hold psi as you reach toward 300*.

Keep us updated on the outcome.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Finally! Wheels on!

Well sorry for your friend. Bottom line is that it has to come out. At this point I would look for a good used engine swap if you donít have 10K to put in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Yes, as you progress thru to the higher temps, warnings and bells before an engine saving shut down. But if there's a problem with the ECT sensor, then.....?
Thank you! These are all helpful responses. Just curious if you know which warnings should have been present. Now I am worried about making sure that my 2007 LBZ is working the way it should!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:50 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
...which warnings should have been present
There's an upper case bold lettered warning that appears on the DIC....along with a chiming (like if you left a turn signal on).
Rick Hall likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in