glow plug issue? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

glow plug issue?

i have 2007 lbz i replaced the glow plugs because a few slowly started going out and replaced them with Ac delco and worked fine for about a week and then all 8 are out again but the truck still starts fine. but im just curious what could be causing the problem or if i just got a bad batch of plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Recently saw this issue at my shop, the glow plug control module took a dump on the customer. Maybe the next step before trying more glow plugs which is hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stinson View Post
i have 2007 lbz i replaced the glow plugs because a few slowly started going out and replaced them with Ac delco and worked fine for about a week and then all 8 are out again but the truck still starts fine. but im just curious what could be causing the problem or if i just got a bad batch of plugs?
Did you check the bad one when you removed them? I assume that they just fail open circuit, that is the heater element just burns out opens up. I've got 3 out but reluctant to change them because the LBZ starts fine in winter. My only concern is that if they burn out is there a posibility that material may break off inside.

Don - WA5NGP

06 LBZ white, X Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, raised driver seat, Work Truck nuthin fancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Usually, when you start seeing GPs drop out, it's after a bad battery event.
Low voltage conditions do them in.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Usually, when you start seeing GPs drop out, it's after a bad battery event.
Low voltage conditions do them in.
what is the reason for that? If voltage is lower they are kept on longer by the controller. The current should be lower unless they are pulse width modulated?

Don - WA5NGP

06 LBZ white, X Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, raised driver seat, Work Truck nuthin fancy

Last edited by wa5ngp; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
They run on amps, not volts.
Volts deliver the amps...no volts, no amps.

Don't know the technical whys and nots....just noticed a trend in failure comes after a battery event.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 08:06 AM
HWI

Given equal watts, when voltage decreases amperage increases. So that is likely what would cause a glow plug to fail under low voltage conditions.

06 LBZ CCSB
MBRP 3" down pipe/4" straight pipe, PPE Xcelerator, FASS 150, Beans sump, deleted, pump rub fix
Zone 6" lift, Kryptonite tie rods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode