CP3 replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

CP3 replacement

so let me just ask this question to see where most true mechanics or people with true knowledge of the Duramax engine.

QUESTION:
if your CP3 is going out because of whatever reason, and you think you have pretty good knowledge on how engines are built, to be taken apart and rebuilt, would you do the CP3 replacement yourself or would you just pony over the money and have a shop do it for you?

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
2006 LBZ (Regency Edition) sold

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
so let me just ask this question to see where most true mechanics or people with true knowledge of the Duramax engine.
QUESTION: if your CP3 is going out because of whatever reason, and you think you have pretty good knowledge on how engines are built, to be taken apart and rebuilt, would you do the CP3 replacement yourself or would you just pony over the money and have a shop do it for you?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Wed 14 Ayg '19 @ approx. 4:30 PM MST

One look at the multi page instruction sheet from S & S Diesel made it clear to me I made the right decision - turned the job over to a qualified shop.

May I assume you made a typo error, and meant to ask "if your CP 4 is going out".

That's the problem - from what you will see about CP4 failures there is little or no advance warning.

You are assuming the CP4 is repairable. I get the impression from other threads and posts the thing, once it goes bad, is discarded. (? ? ? )

I worked as a truck mechanic during part of my high school & college years, later worked as a machinist's trainee, maintain my own boats, cars & airplane, so I have at least some degree of familiarity with mechanical devices and tools.

Let me tell you - one look at how far the GM dealer had to take that complex piece of machinery apart, and I KNOW I did the right thing! In addition to all the mechanical work, there's all those connectors of various types you either understand how to disconnect and then reconnect..or break....! Maybe you can find and hire that guy in here who claims it is a 6 hour job?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
sent while hiding in the "fitting room" of the local Fredericks womenswear store...….

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 70,000; now have 81,000, convert to CP3. Otherwise bone stock except for air-shocks in rear, together with one leaf removed from spring pack for softer ride. Well....went over a bumpy road the other day & the bone fell off....

Last edited by 6686L; 08-14-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: collecting girls is more fun than collecting stamps
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post

QUESTION:
if your CP3 is going out because of whatever reason, and you think you have pretty good knowledge on how engines are built, to be taken apart and rebuilt, would you do the CP3 replacement yourself or would you just pony over the money and have a shop do it for you?
i would personally pay to have it done for 2 reasons. First, while i have the tools, and skills to do the work, i am not an expert, i have limited free time, and that is kind of a large time commitment. Second, it would take very little contamination to brick the injectors. The though of "was i clean enough during the install" would be in the back of my mind until i sold the truck of the pump failed.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

If your truck is 2018, you probably have a CP4, if you think it's going bad, it's probably time to convert TO a CP3...

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
If your truck is 2018, you probably have a CP4, if you think it's going bad, it's probably time to convert TO a CP3...
Im assuming hes asking about a different truck, if it were an 18 id hope the dealer would take care of that.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:28 PM

CP3 replacement

2018 GM 6.6 does not have a cp4. It has a denso hp pump.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
Nope, not a CP4.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 PM

My CP3 wasn't going out but I screwed up a return line while replacing the injectors last time and ran out of weekend to fool with it. So I had it towed to the dealer on Monday and while they were fixing that I also had them replace the CP3 simply because they were already in there, the truck had 365,000 miles on it and I really didn't want to fool with it. It wasn't cheap plus I was in a rental p/u the whole time it was in the shop. I think rental fees were about $1800 alone.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I would do it my self but then I'm retired and have been a mechanic all of my life. I have a shop with a lift and tens of thousands in tools.

There is nothing about this job that a talented amateur can't handle. It is complicated but that is why cell phones have cameras, isn't it?

However, I can easily see why people would be reluctant to tackle this job. Only you can decide whether your time is worth more or the shop cost is worth more.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I would do it my self but then I'm retired and have been a mechanic all of my life. I have a shop with a lift and tens of thousands in tools. There is nothing about this job that a talented amateur can't handle. It is complicated but that is why cell phones have cameras, isn't it?However, I can easily see why people would be reluctant to tackle this job. Only you can decide whether your time is worth more or the shop cost is worth more.
===========================================
True - we old "wrench-turners" can do fine with "bolts and nuts" jobs. Welcome to the computer age - there are all kinds of propriatory connectors that can be easily broken if you don't know the secret. That and a bad back decided the issue for me.
mizterwizard likes this.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 70,000; now have 81,000, convert to CP3. Otherwise bone stock except for air-shocks in rear, together with one leaf removed from spring pack for softer ride. Well....went over a bumpy road the other day & the bone fell off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode