Looking for real world results - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Looking for real world results

I am picking up my new 07' on Wednesday. I've been doing lots of reading here, and quite frankly my head is spinning from information overload. This will be the first Chevy I have ever owned, having owned both Ford 7.3, 6.0 and Cummins 5.9's. So, what I am looking at is this: Real world, is there any TRUE gain to be had with a "cold air intake" aka BHAF? Same question with upgrading the exhaust, Cat back or turbo back.

And in relation to programmers, am I understanding correctly that the best ones do something to help ease the strain on the transmission under heavy load or flat out racing?

Miss Information has done her job in this case by leaving my utterly confused.

Thanks for the assist.

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
First, from my experiences the stock intake on the Duramax is pretty good, and not really worth changing out until you are going for big power.

As for the tuners, some defuel for shifts and some don't. On a stock transmission, defuel is better for the transmission, but bad for performance. Pick your poison.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

[QUOTE=
As for the tuners, some defuel for shifts and some don't. On a stock transmission, defuel is better for the transmission, but bad for performance. Pick your poison.[/QUOTE]

So no middle ground here huh?

t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Diesel Addict

i ran the bully triple dog on my 3/4 ton and i loved the extra power it handled nice tranny shifted real good but didn't increase my fuel economy so i switched to the ppe on the same truck with the same power but gained almost 4 mpg,you guessed it i was happy..my best yet is 23.6 all highway...i found out if you run some extra power on the duramax it really helps to put a shift kit in the tranny,i'm running the bully dog shift kit it works great...just my experience

Project, Rogue Budget(Workstock Puller)
2006 GMC 2500HD, Stock Motor, EFILive by me, Billet 63 VVT, Motorsport Stroker CP3, 20% Nzls, ProFab Manis n Uppipes, BD IC, Hot Pipe IC, ProFab Y-Bridge, lots of other goodies
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4780 View Post
So no middle ground here huh?

t.
I guess bad for performance was a little strong. Defueling will slow you down a little, but you will still see more performance than stock. Some guys don't like the way the defueling feels, it can be pretty obvious on some tuners.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM

From what I have been reading up on and seeing the cold-air intake and exhaust helps your vehicle breath better, without cold-air intake, especially with the turbo you are getting cooler air into your manifold, instead of having the air that has been recirculating throughout your engine compartment. And as far as exhaust I have been told turbo back, due to wanting to have the same size piping all the way throughout... hope this helps a little...

Now I have a question also, does anyone have any reputable experience with exhaust companies and which one do you recommend? I know Silverline is good, but it sounds better on a ford than a Chevy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Diesel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Diesel05 View Post
From what I have been reading up on and seeing the cold-air intake and exhaust helps your vehicle breath better, without cold-air intake, especially with the turbo you are getting cooler air into your manifold, instead of having the air that has been recirculating throughout your engine compartment. And as far as exhaust I have been told turbo back, due to wanting to have the same size piping all the way throughout... hope this helps a little...

Now I have a question also, does anyone have any reputable experience with exhaust companies and which one do you recommend? I know Silverline is good, but it sounds better on a ford than a Chevy.
i hate to disagree with you on the silverline but i'm running a dual silverline setup on the dually and it screams..ps ask trailerpropop how it sounds..if you want the loudest then go with a 5" turbo back,i love my 5"magnaflow

Project, Rogue Budget(Workstock Puller)
2006 GMC 2500HD, Stock Motor, EFILive by me, Billet 63 VVT, Motorsport Stroker CP3, 20% Nzls, ProFab Manis n Uppipes, BD IC, Hot Pipe IC, ProFab Y-Bridge, lots of other goodies
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 06:35 PM

This will be the first Chevy I have ever owned, having owned both Ford 7.3, 6.0 and Cummins 5.9's

Looks like you already did a great upgrade!

White 05 Duramax 4x4 crew K&N air intake, No kitty, Predator, 4" MBPR 409 exhaust, White gauge cluster, billet grill. Westin all the way around.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Regarding your original questions. If you subscribe to Diesel Power they did two articles one on intakes the other on exhausts. They tested all the big name intakes out there. The simple truth is don't believe the advertising numbers. If you are eventually going to BIG POWER, go with and intake and filter. If you are looking for better air flow, just drop in an AFE or whatever brand you like.

As far as the exhaust, again go turbo back for BIG POWER. However when Diesel Power did their test, the difference in HP between cat back and turbo back was only 7 hp.

As far as the tuner is concerned, you gotta ask yourself what do you want it to do. Do you want to be able to shift HP levels on the fly? The the banks six gun PDA or Edge attitude with Juice is the way to go. I personally like being able to switch HP levels on the go. I had both the programmer and the tuner.

Good Luck, you'll love your truck. Mine is just over 3 months old and the odometer just turned 11,000.

Matty

2007 Chevy LBZ 4x4 CC LB. Banks Ram Air Intake, Banks Dual Exhaust, Banks Six Gun with PDA, used for guages only. Road Armor Front Bumper, with PIAA Driving & Fog Lights. Idaho Rob's transmission with triple disc converter and ATS Co-Pilot. EFI Live from Kennedy Diesel and Idaho Rob. Ballistic Rims with 285/65/18 BFG All Terrain Tires. Air Dog 150. 484hp and 972tq on Dunbar's Dyno.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I've pretty much made up my mind on the programmer, exhaust is another story. I had a 4" cat back on my Dodge, which was ok, but with the trailer on pulling, the drone was pretty obnoxious. Which now begs the question, which system is NOT going to do that?

t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode